Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had ment to ask this question a long time ago but kept forgetting. Anyways ->

I noticed in the owners manual (2000) a warning that the cigarette lighter outlet in the center console is only to be used for just that. If it isn't being used for lighting up fags :26: then you should keep the dummy plug in it; is what they suggest.

Why in the world would this be. I've ignored that warning and have had my cell phone charger, GPS power, and a baby bottle warmer plugged into it with no problems. Not all at once mind you. I figure most things won't pull much of a draw on the wires, if so the fuse would blow out before any damage would occur to thewires or plug, correct?? :blahblah: However, it shares a fuse (15A I believe) with the electric mirrors. I figured if anything bad was going to happen it would have when I plugged in the baby bottle warmer, as that unit has heating elements that I'm sure pull a pretty strong current.

Anybody had problems using the cig. lighter outlet, besides with the cig lighter, which I'm sure none of us are dumb enough to use those for their intended purposes.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I can think of only 3 reasons:
1) high current, which most things are not.
2) Not powered when engine not running, so rechargers may actually be draining batteries most of the time.
3) Current spikes might kill some devices.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I think there is some kind of warning about the socket losing its ability to automatically eject the lighter if something lese has been plugged into it. So they're worried that after using the socket as a power source, you'll plug in the lighter, it won't eject, and a fire hazard will reuslt.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Like the guys said above^^^^ But I would not worry about it, use it as needed. If they really wanted to convey a message like that, there would be a decal or warning by the socket itself. Now, do they tell you NOT to use the rear one for a cigarette lighter? I would think that would be more of a potential problem....Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
The other reason is that putting the aftermarket accessories plugs into the cig outlet can mar the innter outlet cylinder (hole).

Apparently, in order for the cig lighter to pop out when hot, that hole needs to be tidy. Manual states it could be a fire hazard.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
*Nostalgic stare off into space*

Then there was my older sister's friend's car back in the 70s, with the lighter that would pop out - and keep on going. It could launch all the way to the back seat cometimes.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
The_Lizard said:
*Nostalgic stare off into space*

Then there was my older sister's friend's car back in the 70s, with the lighter that would pop out - and keep on going. It could launch all the way to the back seat cometimes.
Hahaha!
Funny you mention that, because my Outback does the exact same thing.
I'm a non-smoker, but everyonce in a while the lighter will get bumped into the socket without me realizing it...that is until about 20 seconds later when the lighter goes flying out towards the passenger's seat! It's like a little missle. Most of the time it ends up harmlessly falling onto the passenger's floor, but once it ended up on the seat where I had some plastic bags full of stuff...melted a hole right through them, I'm lucky there wasn't a fire!

·
Registered
26 Posts
being a non smoker i'm surprised i have a story about this, mainly the same set up as the guys above (acidently hit the lighter when i wasn't paying attention) my old tacoma use to do the same projectial style lighter but i was lucky because it always hit the floor. the prob was trying to pick it up on the freeway. that caused a nice burn in my hand haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Room for the cell charger?

2001 Outback automatic, its tough to get room for my basic cell charger in the cig lighter, any resources of smaller cell charging units?

The shifter can't be in p or r and make room. Thanks

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You could simply go to an electronics store and get a Y-adaptor, which allows you to plug in two cig plugs, and each one will usually have 6 or so inches of pigtail to allow for placement.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've used mine to charge up my cell phone too without any issues. Of course it was only at highway speed also. I don't know if that makes any difference or not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive a 2016 outback, and I can't charge my phone in the outlet without blowing a fuse!! It's pure [email protected]#%$!!! The dealership said I should use the outlet in the center console, but I seem to blow that fuse as well. I think there might be something else going on. Has anyone else had issues like this?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I drive a 2016 outback, and I can't charge my phone in the outlet without blowing a fuse!! It's pure [email protected]#%$!!! The dealership said I should use the outlet in the center console, but I seem to blow that fuse as well. I think there might be something else going on. Has anyone else had issues like this?
Something is definitely wrong. Have you tried using a different adapter? That's the first thing to suspect.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
+1, the socket is not the problem, it's the adapter - a properly functioning adapter won't draw anywhere near enough current to blow a fuse. Wouldn't be surprised if it's some kind of no-name cheap junk purchased online or from a convenience store - all a complete waste of money. Plenty of relatively inexpensive, yet actually reliable, stuff out there from brands like Anker. Pay just a little more and get something that actually works properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
14 Participants
AvidHiker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing