Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 12v Cigarette lighter plug cuts off after 2-15 minutes...yes, the run times varies. How can fix the cigarette lighter plug so that it runs continuously while I'm driving the vehicle?

This is ridiculous. I can understand it not being hot while the ignition is turn off...but off while the ignition is on?? Whats the point of having it if its off all the time???

Cellular signal in our area is less than adequate and I'm installing a mobile Cellular booster. I'm gonna try switching the cord on the device to a USB cord and plugging it into one of my USB car ports....which are hot while the ignition is on.

Edited: Model/years

2016 Limited 3.6R
2017 Touring 3.6R

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,143 Posts
The 12v Cigarette lighter plug cuts off after 2-15 minutes...yes, the run times varies. How can fix the cigarette lighter plug so that it runs continuously while I'm driving the vehicle?
Sure it's not the charger/device, that's cutting out? Bad plug?

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,143 Posts
I've tried multiple devices (new devices that works in our other vehicles) and experience the same results. It's really weird.
I'd ref it to the dealer then. Sounds like an intermittent connection or bum jack.
Same in both cars....? Sorry, just thinking out loud. Although I have my radar detector wired into the storage well jack, I can try it in the cubby jack. If it powers off I'll know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd ref it to the dealer then. Sounds like an intermittent connection or bum jack.
Same in both cars....? Sorry, just thinking out loud. Although I have my radar detector wired into the storage well jack, I can try it in the cubby jack. If it powers off I'll know.
It's been a while since I've tried it in the wife's car but I want to say ya, both cars.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
I would lean more towards your plugin charger internal voltage regulator would be the issue. None of my vehicles have any problem sending voltage to the the socket.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,511 Posts

This is ridiculous. I can understand it not being hot while the ignition is turn off...but off while the ignition is on?? Whats the point of having it if its off all the time???

Cellular signal in our area is less than adequate and I'm installing a mobile Cellular booster. I'm gonna try switching the cord on the device to a USB cord and plugging it into one of my USB car ports....which are hot while the ignition is on.

Edited: Model/years

2016 Limited 3.6R
2017 Touring 3.6R
All three power ports are supposed to be continuously powered when the ignition switch is in Acc or Run position. If yours are intermittent, something is wrong.

How much power does this device need? The USB ports are limited to 500 mA current (2.5 W), so they probably won't work (unless this has changed since '15). Even the most robust USB supplies are limited to about 2.5 A (12.5 W) or so. The 12V "cigarette lighter" power ports can provide up to 10 A (120+ W) or more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All three power ports are supposed to be continuously powered when the ignition switch is in Acc or Run position. If yours are intermittent, something is wrong.

How much power does this device need? The USB ports are limited to 500 mA current (2.5 W), so they probably won't work (unless this has changed since '15). Even the most robust USB supplies are limited to about 2.5 A (12.5 W) or so. The 12V "cigarette lighter" power ports can provide up to 10 A (120+ W) or more.
Right now I haven't installed the cellular boost. I've just been trying to run dash cams.

Neither of these dash cams will work using the cigarette lighter plug:

https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-LS3...TF8&qid=1506726504&sr=8-1&keywords=dod+ls360w
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Or...1506726575&sr=8-11&keywords=blackbox+dash+cam

(I can plug the Blackbox into a USB port but not the DOD)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would lean more towards your plugin charger internal voltage regulator would be the issue. None of my vehicles have any problem sending voltage to the the socket.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul
I laugh at myself all the time :smile2:

Anyhow, sounds like it. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow, need to get my oil changed as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,151 Posts
I would lean more towards your plugin charger internal voltage regulator would be the issue.
Yep. Pending additional information, I'll put my money on thermal or overcurrent shutdown somewhere downstream of the 12-volt socket.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,253 Posts
It's been a while since I've tried it in the wife's car but I want to say ya, both cars.
Assuming the camera's power source isn't in some way defective, I'd say the odds of that would be astronomical. Unless maybe you've plugged something else into both vehicles that could have damaged the socket (not unheard of, but rare).

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,314 Posts
All three power ports are supposed to be continuously powered when the ignition switch is in Acc or Run position.
This is the best clue to performing a meaningful diagnosis here. Monitor a different socket at the same time you're using the suspect socket by plugging in a small lamp or flashlight.

If power stays on with the monitored socket, then it's your plug-in charger.

If power cuts out with the monitored socket, then it's your vehicle's power system.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Monitor a different socket at the same time you're using the suspect socket by plugging in a small lamp or flashlight.
One possible complication: The three 12-volt accessory sockets in the Outback are on two separate circuits. I believe the socket below the dash is on one circuit and the sockets in the console and rear compartment are on another.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,314 Posts
One possible complication: The three 12-volt accessory sockets in the Outback may be on two separate circuits. I believe the rear socket is powered separately from the sockets in the dash and console.
Good point - I checked my 2008 wiring diagrams, and the front ashtray socket is on one system (fuse FB-22), and the console box and cargo area sockets are on a second system (fuse FB-21). Both systems are switched with the ignition. I'm guessing the OP's Gen5 is similar.

But this still allows for diagnosing the problem, by moving the plug-in charger to the console box and monitoring the rear cargo area power.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I checked my 2008 wiring diagrams, and the front ashtray socket is on one system (fue FB-22), and the console box and cargo area sockets are on a second system (fuse FB-21). Both systems are switched with the ignition. I'm guessing the OP's Gen5 is similar.
I checked the 2015 FSM, and the wiring is the same as you describe. I have edited my original post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts