Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks
I'm attempting to install a Curt 122843 hitch on a 2008 3R LL Bean edition. Amazon's site says this should be a direct bolt-on, but I'm having some difficulty. There is a gap approximately 1" between the tow hook and the hitch. (vertical) even with the four bolts drawn up tight.

Is this car what might be considered the sport model? Did I get the wrong part?

Any advice will be most appreciated.
-

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,053 Posts
only outback sport model = the smaller impreza outback sport.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
421 Posts
Still need help?

I just did this install on my 06 outback 2.5i. During my install, there were two brackets above the mufflers that got in the way. The curt hitch could have been slightly wider, IMHO. I was able to spread it/push it up enough to hand tighten the bolts in, and then I used my ratchet to tighten all the way. Others on Amazon mentioned cutting these brackets, but I wouldn't recommend that

Definitely not a great fit, but once it's installed, it looked fine.

To be honest, I had an even worse experience with curt and my last car (97 subaru legacy). I sent it back and got a draw-tite, which was a perfect fit. My friend just got a curt hitch for his 1st gen tacoma, and he had to take an angle grinder to it so the exhaust wouldn't rattle against it.

EDIT: A picture is worth a thousand words, so adding a picture from one of the amazon reviews. The reviewer cut the bracket on the left. I wouldn't recommend cutting it, but just spreading the curt hitch a little more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My apologies fr not posting the final resolution sooner, but it seems that the Curt hitch might actually have been the problem itself. I suspect their dimensions/tolerances might leave something to be desired. I did have to do a small amount of bending and use the shims to close the gap I mentioned above. The job is finished, it looks good and the wiring was much easier than the hitch itself.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts