Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it's official, I bought an '05 XT Atl Blue/gray base model (not the limited). I'm wondering if you folks think it is worth the $575 for the added 4 years (in addition to the standard 3 year warentee).. I don't do alot of miles and would surely hit the 7 year barrier before I get the 100k miles.

Since this is a first year model, it has the turbo, I'm leaning towards going with this, but I've been so ingrained about how ext. warentees are mostly useless....

The $575 is with the VIP program and also carries a $100 deductable. How expensive are Subaru parts, like say the water pump?

I have until I pick the car up to either go for it or not...

Opinions?

Jay

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's still 3/36 on everything and 5/60 on powertrain, right? Yeah, its a new model, but Subaru has a solid record of good engineering. We know they know how to build a turbo engine ;) 3 years/5 years is a lot of time for any/powertrain issues to appear & still be covered.

These days I don't think these warranties are *created* with the intention of ripping you off (like they used to be) but I passed on it when I bought my leftover 03 H6 sedan 6 months ago. I got full standard warranties effective from purchase date, & I'm not worried.

Not sure, but you may be the first US board member to get an 05... congrats!

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Jay H said:
OK, so it's official, I bought an '05 XT Atl Blue/gray base model (not the limited). I'm wondering if you folks think it is worth the $575 for the added 4 years (in addition to the standard 3 year warentee).. I don't do alot of miles and would surely hit the 7 year barrier before I get the 100k miles.
For $575 I'd say, **** yes go for it! That is pretty cheap ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd get it. When you are paying nearly 30,000 for the car, $575 is relatively inexpensive. Seems like a good idea to me. Congrats on the car... some pics would be great!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
That is a good price if there is no other hidden costs. I bought an extended myself for like $900, a lot of $. Brian

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From speaking to the guy at Liberty Subaru (I'll post a review after I pick up the car), the warentee is basically covers the major items in the car and is also transferable to a new owner if I ever sell it. It differs from the "Gold coverage" in that the gold coverage almost covers everything, but stuff that I'd most likely would fix myself. That would be things like if the radio knob fell off and stuff. So, realistically, the Classic plan is the only one I'm considering. Liberty also says that the $575 is the VIP pricing and that it's around $150-$200 more for the standard offering.

I asked the guy, with an IMBA membership at $20 a year or so, I wonder how many people do they get that doesn't have the VIP program. Subaru is affiliated with so many diff. organizations and companies... He never gave me a percentage but he did seem to indicate a lot of folks do.

Yes, the standard warantee is 3/36 and this is just like an extended warentee.

I'll post pictures once I get the car this wednesday.

Don't forget it does carry a $100 deductable. My current car, a '97 BMW 328i, ANY major part is easily over $100 except for maybe the tire stem valve cover :)

Jay

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm doing more internet research on Subaru's "Added Security" plan.. finding some more interesting info, one says that you can buy it from anybody and it's good at any authorized subby dealership unless an emergency.

It also says that you can purchase it up to the point where the standard 3yr/36k warantee expires. That means I wont have to buy it now. My dealership says I need to decide before I take delivery! Might have to contact him on that.

Do any of you know anybody that is selling the classic plan with $100 deducatible for less than $575? I've heard of folks negotiating the cost of this too.. I might just try that..

Jay

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went with the classic plan... My dealership actually haggled with me. They called me up and offered the $100 classic 6 year/60k miles at $525 so I went with it. :)

Jay

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jay H said:
Well, I went with the classic plan... My dealership actually haggled with me. They called me up and offered the $100 classic 6 year/60k miles at $525 so I went with it. :)

Jay
Umm, is that only drive train protection? Because Subaru's come with a 5 year/60,000 mile Drive Train Warranty already.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it's the "added security" that covers all the major parts, you can find info on it at the subaru website under that name. Basically I'll have 3 more years of warantee for the major parts covered. Normally I don't spring for such a thing but with the turbo, first model year, and I plan on keeping this awhile, thought it would nice to have.

Jay

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jay H said:
No, it's the "added security" that covers all the major parts, you can find info on it at the subaru website under that name. Basically I'll have 3 more years of warantee for the major parts covered. Normally I don't spring for such a thing but with the turbo, first model year, and I plan on keeping this awhile, thought it would nice to have.

Jay
Awesome... I am hoping I can get a quote for the lease years and 100,000 mile protection for everything with a deductable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Classic Extended Warranty

I have never been a big fan of the extended warrenty that can be purchased through the dealership. I guess much of the lack of interest comes from not keeping an automobile longer than the standard warranty.

However, have you ever read what is actually covered in a "bumber to bumber" warranty? I know not all of the things that I would consider to be between the two bumbers. My point is that you may want to check with your insurance company. They may offer a TRUE "bumber to bumber" warranty.

I am by no means an insurance rep, but I use Gieco to insure my auto's and they offer for a 7 yr/100K TRUE bumber to bumber warranty for about $6.00 a month. To top it all off, the deductible for any work done is $250.00 regardless of any collision deductible you may have. But wait there is more, you have untill 11K miles to sign your car up for it, and a claim does not go towards increasing your premium for it is considered to be no fault incidental like a damage from a hit and run in a parking lot.

I have only had the opportunity to use it once for a 1200.00 ball joint replacement on a 98 Durango (6 months before the recall, go figure).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
rwsub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing