Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i LTD / Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Outback. Have around 600 miles on it. A few smears on the inside of the windshield that have become a minor annoyance in the morning sun. I get the old Windex and paper towels out, spray and wipe, only to make things a hundred times worse! Heck, a wet rag and Vaseline could have done just as good. What's your secret to clean glass???

Now the human psyche part ... I drive my son to middle school every morning. The education of our "younglings" is supposed to make the world a better place. But I look around and see parents that would just assume run me over and give "the finger" rather than be courteous, let me in, or God forbid, give a wave or say "good morning." I'm sure the kids pickup on this. How sad.

"Hey son, good luck at school today. Study hard so you can grow up and be an a-hole like the rest of us!"

On my way home (rural area) I have to make a left and cross a two-lane divided highway. There is no left turn lane so I have to put my blinker on 1/4-mile early to warn drivers that I have to turn left from "the fast lane." This seems to antagonize drivers to speed up and get right on my ***. Now, being that it's rural and there isn't much traffic, the wise thing for anyone behind me to do would be to simply change lanes and zoom right by. But NO. That is a major inconvenience! It's far better to try to retain 60 or 70 MPH and nearly clip me as I slow down to make the left turn.

If I'm gonna wreck, at least I wanna wreck with clean glass! ;)

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Personally I like to use vinegar mixed with water and use newspaper to wipe it with to remove any films from the surface. Follow that up with Invisible Glass and a microfiber cloth, arguably the best glass cleaner on the market. I won't use anything else.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
It doesn't seem like it would work, but newsprint is excellent for the final polish on a window. Give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
new cars outgas a lot of plasticizers. One thing that may help if your new car is garaged, leave the windows down half an inch over night. (whenever practical, actually)

You may need to experiment with the above ideas and some other cleaners to find one that works well. Also, I find paper towels often leave a smear behind so, perhaps a well washed T-shirt or one of those new micro-fiber cloths would work better.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
It looks gimmicky but I've been using one of these [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UQIQZ8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0JTTZB49YF8GT5V7EJX8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...otive,132&rh=i:automotive,k:windshield wonder (Windshield Wonder) since my wife got it as part of a magazine sale promotion or something like that. It works great on just that sort of plastic out-gassing. The handle is at the correct angle and length to clean the inside of the windshield without being a contortionist.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
Personally I like to use vinegar mixed with water and use newspaper to wipe it with to remove any films from the surface. Follow that up with Invisible Glass and a microfiber cloth, arguably the best glass cleaner on the market. I won't use anything else.
This gets your windows spectacularly clean and clear.

I do about 80-90% nice warm/hot water, 10% vinegar and a *tiny* splash of dawn. Whipe down really well with a paper towel or microfiber cloth. Then hand-dry ASAP with clean paper towels. I've tried newspaper and it's more awkward than the paper towels and takes a lot more effort, and i saw no difference.

The first time I washed car windows (with anything other than water) I also used windex and found out the next morning on the way to work that that was a HUGE mistake. It's amazing how smeared and gross it is.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
I bought a finishing set of 4 different types of micro-fiber towels. One of them - apparently intended for washing - had a 3-D woven texture (not micro-fiber) just like the one intended for windows. The other side is soft micro-fibered mop-fingered. I found using the textured side for the cleaning, then a finishing buff with the mop side, did an awesome job on streak-free windows. I'd highly recommend using this type of cloth.

I'll try Invisiglass with it next time. On the outside, I'll often use Rain-X 2-in-1 cleaner/repellant, proceeding it with Windex if the windows are dirty. The Rain-X is streaky with paper towels, but buffs out beautifully with my window cloth above.

Zealot - how much Dawn are you using per given measure? A "tiny splash" in say a gallon is 4 times that in a quart. Maye you ca tell us in aprx. drops per quart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts