Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been covered in any other threads, I searched and can't find it if so.
But I'm looking for recommendations on what products are best for cleaning and protecting the leather interior of my 2010 Outback Limited. Has anyone used 303 protectant I have in the past on vinyl and thought it to be good. Also are the whole seat covers leather? what about the door panels? What have you used on the plastic rocker panels and roof rack as well.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
Use the term "leather cleaning" in your search. You'll get hundreds of posts in dozens of threads that will give all the information you need.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
First of all it is a bad idea to clean leather even with leather cleaners as many of them take the dye out of the leather. I use very mild soap and lots of water with soft towels. Lexol is what I use for the leather. Or Mothers or any good quality leather conditioner. I apply it by hand and rub it in. Hot days work best for absorbing. For vinyl I use Vinylex after cleaning.
You can use a lot of other products and I have but those work best for most auto leathers. Most auto leather is supposed to be sealed but it still needs the oils in these products.
The car leather cleaner you have chosen probably sucks; find out why.
Here is a good over all summary. I don't agree with some of the assertions by this guy because I have seen too many cases when dyed or tanned leather bleeds using leather cleaners and I have always found the leather to regain softness after treating with a leather conditioner.
To each their own but I do agree with the products he uses for both leather and vinyl...

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
First of all it is a bad idea to clean leather even with leather cleaners as many of them take the dye out of the leather. I use very mild soap and lots of water with soft towels. Lexol is what I use for the leather. Or Mothers or any good quality leather conditioner. I apply it by hand and rub it in. Hot days work best for absorbing. For vinyl I use Vinylex after cleaning.
You can use a lot of other products and I have but those work best for most auto leathers. Most auto leather is supposed to be sealed but it still needs the oils in these products.
The car leather cleaner you have chosen probably sucks; find out why.
Here is a good over all summary. I don't agree with some of the assertions by this guy because I have seen too many cases when dyed or tanned leather bleeds using leather cleaners and I have always found the leather to regain softness after treating with a leather conditioner.
To each their own but I do agree with the products he uses for both leather and vinyl...
This post is spot on.

Damp (water) cloth is all you need. Very mild soap if you need more and don't rub to hard or you will take the paint off.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
My neighbor owns an independent automotive leather install/repair shop (30 years in business). His recommendations are the same as fun2drive and Novablue. Mild soap and water then a soft dry cotton towel. He swears off microfiber because he says they have strong wicking properties. He says save them for the car's painted, sealed surfaces.

·
Registered
303 Posts
One shop recommended using a mister clean sponge with mild soap and then I used Meguiars Cleaner/Conditioner another good brand is Lexol then a micro cloth to finish.
Leather is like your skin if you let it dry out eventually leads to cracking etc, the key is to keep it clean and conditioned especially in hotter climates.
If your unsure take it to a recommended high end detail shop one that does Lexus, Mercedes etc also.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
One shop recommended using a mister clean sponge with mild soap ...

If by "mister clean sponge", you mean "Magic Eraser", be VERY CAREFUL. My wife stripped the dye from one spot on our passenger seat using a Magic Eraser. She was trying to remove a stain, but it didn't take much effort to do it.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
I use this on my new 2013 Outback 3.6R SAP with the special Saddle Brown Leather..

Has a real nice leather smell, not greasy, and you only need a mircofiber towel for on and off..

Leather Care, 16 Ounces - Griot's Garage

Steve

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Not sure abt. the cleaning solution part, And for lotion foir leather, I go to Walgreen and Buy the cheapest NOn-dye Hand lotion for under $2. (sometimes 99cents)....
I couldn't tell the differrence btw the expensive car leather lotion vs this stuff...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts