Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 12 k miles i have noticed that my drivers leather light ivory seat has a wide streak of soil right by what would be ones belt line. Its weird because i wear t shirts and there is no contact with anything dark, like a black belt. So i have tried a bristle brush and leather cleaner to no avail.

Light ivory interior probably was not such a good choice but thats all that was avauilable on my 2011 Ruby Red pearl OB.

Any suggestions?? Besides using a seat cover. Anyone think its a warrenty issue?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I've used Lexol to clean and condition my seats. Unforunately the Lexol leather cleaner seems to be taking the dye off too. Let me know what you are using.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I've used Lexol to clean and condition my seats. Unforunately the Lexol leather cleaner seems to be taking the dye off too. Let me know what you are using.
I did a test area and found the same thing. Though couldn't quite make out if it was pulling the color off or doing something else to it? I use the heavy cream type stuff less of a cleaner and more of a conditioner once a year. And have switched to a very light misting of cheapo Armerall on a clean soft rag then simply wipe them down. Two kids every time I do that the rag comes up filthy funny the seats didn't look that bad! but they clean up fine.

My take was that Lexol had something in it that was a little more harsh than just some generic oils.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Assuming your leather has sufficient moisure and isn't dried out a warm damp sponge wipped on the seats followed by a dry cloth towel is all you need. If your seats have dried out you need to hydrate them with whatever good leather conditioner you prefer. I have not found any one much better than the others. Some conditioners will cause streaking.
I hydrate the seats- let them sit in the sun- wipe off any excess that doesn't soak in and then use the sponge.
The conditioner helps bring the dirt and crude to the top of the leather allowing removal with a damp cloth.
At least that is how I have done it on my BMWs for the last 15 years. Assuming these seats are similar it should work.

I am interested in how others clean their Outback seats since mine are Warm Ivory Leather too...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Assuming your leather has sufficient moisure and isn't dried out a warm damp sponge wipped on the seats followed by a dry cloth towel is all you need. If your seats have dried out you need to hydrate them with whatever good leather conditioner you prefer. I have not found any one much better than the others. Some conditioners will cause streaking.
I hydrate the seats- let them sit in the sun- wipe off any excess that doesn't soak in and then use the sponge.
The conditioner helps bring the dirt and crude to the top of the leather allowing removal with a damp cloth.
At least that is how I have done it on my BMWs for the last 15 years. Assuming these seats are similar it should work.

I am interested in how others clean their Outback seats since mine are Warm Ivory Leather too...
You speak the truth Brother!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/46739-warm-ivory-leather-dye-wearing-off.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/45773-leather-condition-not-condition.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
A lot of professional leather cleaners use a little bit of ivory and some warm water.... Followed by a clean damp rag, followed by another clean damp rag and then a dry one...

by a lot of companies i mean of the 5 times my parents had our Pink (love the early 90s) leather sofa cleaned, by all different companies, they did it the same way.....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
A lot of professional leather cleaners use a little bit of ivory and some warm water.... Followed by a clean damp rag, followed by another clean damp rag and then a dry one.....
Sounds like a good method . . but what Ivory product do they use . . . bar soap, laundry detergent, liquid . . or does it make any difference as long as it's an Ivory product.

I have the ivory leather seats and after 13,500 miles and 14 months they still look new but will use your suggestion to help keep them that way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cleaned my V-dub before I sold it with Lexol and it literally made my some of my finger nails fall off. The chemical is entirely to strong for regular use. When I used to clean airplanes all we used on light colored leather was mild soap and hot water. A conditioner could be applied after but the actual cleaning process was with plain mild soap. The hot water did a remarkable job.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cleaned my V-dub before I sold it with Lexol and it literally made my some of my finger nails fall off. The chemical is entirely to strong for regular use. When I used to clean airplanes all we used on light colored leather was mild soap and hot water. A conditioner could be applied after but the actual cleaning process was with plain mild soap. The hot water did a remarkable job.
I have EXTREEEEEMLY sensitive skin and have had NO issue with lexol... in fact my hands felt good after i used it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
With 12 k miles i have noticed that my drivers leather light ivory seat has a wide streak of soil right by what would be ones belt line. Its weird because i wear t shirts and there is no contact with anything dark, like a black belt. So i have tried a bristle brush and leather cleaner to no avail.

Light ivory interior probably was not such a good choice but thats all that was avauilable on my 2011 Ruby Red pearl OB.

Any suggestions?? Besides using a seat cover. Anyone think its a warrenty issue?
I was in the same boat. Same car, same color interior, same problem. The bottom 3 inches of the driver's seat back was worn. Maybe, as others have said here, I aggrevated the problem by using Lexol, but it was worn down.

My dealer authorized a re-dye job. Just got it done today. Looks showroom new!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was in the same boat. Same car, same color interior, same problem. The bottom 3 inches of the driver's seat back was worn. Maybe, as others have said here, I aggrevated the problem by using Lexol, but it was worn down.

My dealer authorized a re-dye job. Just got it done today. Looks showroom new!!
What kind of place did the re-dye job?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regarding my light ivory leather seats

Thank all of you that replyed to my issue. I decided to take my OB to my dealer. The service manager looked at the drivers seat and said let me try the leather cleaner I use. He re appeared with it and a soft cloth and attempted to clean the leather. Nothing, nada, no change. He asked how many miles, 12,700. He went and got the service manager. they both looked and decided that the leather was somehow defective and was either wearing or the dye was being abraded away. They took a few pictures and emailed them to the zone manager. They said if approved they would cover it under the warranty and replace the leather seat cover. I was lead to believe and suspect it will be approved.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What kind of place did the re-dye job?
Just a guy that works out of his truck. He travels around and does interior detailing jobs for MANY local dealers, including my Subaru dealer.

Four months ago, I had him do the passenger seat back. That one was on me, due to my wife getting over-enthusiastic in attempting to clean off a stain; at that time, the dealer hooked me up with the detailer. That seat STILL looks showroom-new - PERFECT match. I have NO doubt that the new touch-up will continue to look new going into the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sunset, I live pretty close to you, what dealer do you deal with?
Also, please send a private message with your upholstery guys name and number, thats a good one to have!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sunset, I live pretty close to you, what dealer do you deal with?
Also, please send a private message with your upholstery guys name and number, thats a good one to have!
Subaru Of Daytona. PM on the way...

·
Registered
188 Posts
A lot of professional leather cleaners use a little bit of ivory and some warm water.... Followed by a clean damp rag, followed by another clean damp rag and then a dry one...

by a lot of companies i mean of the 5 times my parents had our Pink (love the early 90s) leather sofa cleaned, by all different companies, they did it the same way.....
Reviving this thread to say that I finally cleaned my Ivory seats using your process here and it worked GREAT. Ivory dishwashing classic mixed 1 part Ivory to 20 parts water (found on another website). My seats look AWESOME!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
19 Participants
walker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing