Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited Black w/ Ivory
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ivory colored perforated seats in my Limited are beginning to show some dirt from getting in and out of the car. Suggestions for a cleaner?

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
508 Posts
I’ve been using the chemical guys kit (cleaner and conditioner, two separate bottles) for a few years and have been very happy with it. I spray the cleaner, use a boars hair brush to scrub it, then wipe away.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,620 Posts
I have the same interior but haven't had to clean it yet. I did some research on several car forums though and from what I've read, Ivory (brand) soap and warm water rubbed on with a clean cloth works very well in light colored leather. I got some of the Ivory soap but have not had to clean it yet..

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
586 Posts
Saddle soap, comes in a shoe polish can, is made for this task.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have chemical guys too but am worried it'll make the seats slippery. I like how they have some grip and a flat look to them. Trying not to let them get slippery and shiny

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
168 Posts
After reading a lot of online reviews, I bought Leather Honey Cleaner and Leather Honey Conditioner from Amazon. Best value IMO. I have the same seats. My hand hold on the arm rest needs the most attention.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
508 Posts
The leather on the 18 is definitely different. There’s more of a sheen to it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
168 Posts
I have chemical guys too but am worried it'll make the seats slippery. I like how they have some grip and a flat look to them. Trying not to let them get slippery and shiny
I made that mistake with a tire sidewall treatment. I tried it on my front floor mats. It made them real slippery. I had to scrub it off.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Try giving "Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner."

Works well for me.

Bill

·
Registered
203 Posts
What happened to the 'quote'? I was/am referring to the above concerning floor mats.

Bill

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
586 Posts
Try giving "Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner."

Works well for me.

Bill
Be careful, some of this stuff contains silicone which may never come off. Years ago I routinely used a foam cleaner on large 4WD LT tires and after after a couple of years they all cracked on the outside walls. Tires had to be replaced. This may not happen to the seats but consider caution if considering use.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
850 Posts
Anyone using Lexol on their leather? I have both Lexol leather cleaner and Lexol leather conditioner. Both seemed to work well on my 2010 OB Limited, but I haven't tried them yet on my 2020 Touring.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yep, Lexol is THE deal, for leather. I've used on a BIG variety of interiors, from my old 911, to various Legacies(pre-Outback), Outbacks, a 4Runner with light-color leather, and more, the stuff JUST works. I've never had any color/discoloration issues, and it's on my two-tone grey leather interior, on my Limited XT, right now...

They have both a cleaner and protectant, so it's a bit laborious, but it's VERY durable stuff, once applied, IME.

Lexol protects, VERY well, without making things all slippery-slidey, no fun having a slip-and-slide for a car interior, the seats anyway ;-]

·
Registered
203 Posts
Be careful, some of this stuff contains silicone which may never come off. Years ago I routinely used a foam cleaner on large 4WD LT tires and after after a couple of years they all cracked on the outside walls. Tires had to be replaced. This may not happen to the seats but consider caution if considering use.
Agreed!

That's the one thing I did notice about the "Mom's" stuff...no slippy. I've had to remove 'tire' shine' on more than one car, and it's a bear to say the least. BUT, Mother's did the trick.

Bill

Reactions: ArF193

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited Black w/ Ivory
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dawn dishwashing liquid diluted in a spray bottle worked very well. I applied solution to a microfiber towel and lightly rubbed away the dirty areas. Thank you for all your replies!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some swear by Neutrogena. I have used Lexol. Currently using 303 Leather Care, which works particularly well on perforated seats, as it is not thick or pasty, and does not accumulate in the perforations.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,998 Posts
Prior threads on this topic suggest that leather-specific products, which are sometimes critical for maintaining higher-end leather seats, are totally unnecessary because this is sealed leather. The upholstery care instructions provided by Subaru support this assertion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts