Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After every trip, even just going to the grocery store,. I like to clean the grooves of whatever is stuck in there, sometimes even taking the wheels off the car.

Right now I'm using a dental pick and a magnifying glass.

What are other people using?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,717 Posts
I found that dissolving them out with hydrofluoric acid works well. It attacks the silica but not the rubber. But, dealing with all the hazmat gear is a pain so, I only do it after every fuel fill-up.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
The difference between you and Me

Right now I'm using a dental pick.

I use my teeth.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
I just put my rims and tires on my 2016 Cayanne Turbo. and stand on it.

I probably got the only Cayanne with 5x100 to do that,...all the rest are 5x130.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
I just put my rims and tires on my 2016 Cayanne Turbo. and stand on it.

I probably got the only Cayanne with 5x100 to do that,...all the rest are 5x130.
Soooo .... That's how I keep getting all of these windscreen chips. You must be in front of me.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
I just replace them after each use. Same with the oil and all fluids.

New is always better, right?

Reactions: patchelect

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,305 Posts
Next time around I am going to get the 3.6R so I can just do a 4-wheel burnout before I park the car to get rid of anything stuck in the tire grooves.

·
Registered
2018 LTD 3.6R OB Tungsten
9 Posts
After every trip, even just going to the grocery store,. I like to clean the grooves of whatever is stuck in there, sometimes even taking the wheels off the car.

Right now I'm using a dental pick and a magnifying glass.

What are other people using?
I find a battery powered electric toothbrush works better in the tire grooves than a dental pick. It is quick and easy. Just remember to change the bristles before returning the brush to its normal hygienic duties.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts
I think that @Rub has brought up a valid concern that many of us here share.

So my question is, why doesn't Subaru provide an automated, electronic mechanism for detecting and picking out foreign substances from tire grooves (AEMFDAPOFSTG)? And make it standard on all models in their lineup. After all, aren't they touting themselves as the company that is most concerned for driver and passenger safety? Imagine the danger of laying down in the roadway or parking lot next to your vehicle, picking the tire grooves clean by hand (or through other mechanisms suggested in this thread), and being run over by someone in a Jeep or something similar who has no idea of the importance of carrying out this procedure and will not expect you to be laying there!

If Subaru does AEMFDAPOFSTG first, I would offer that they would take solid ownership of the "safety" niche for vehicles.

Talk among yourselves.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,325 Posts
I was hoping to pick chunks of the junk Tiangong 1 out of my tires by hand.

sucks the thing is now destine to come down in the south pacific,..

..they toss the thing up there for a couple years. loose track of it prematurely, and now no crap fireworks show. what a ripoff.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,325 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts