Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2.5i, Limited (Special Appearance Package)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think a clear bra is worth the money. Do they really work? Does any know of a good brand. I will be driving my new Outback on the highway for an hour in the morning and a hour at night. Just wondering if this is a good investment for protection?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I think its worth it especially if you don't want to pay 2 -3 times the amount the clear bra costs later on to get your hood repainted. The previous owner of my '06 Forester had some put on the front of the hood and both fenders and the paint is still good and film hasn't shrunk or discolored.

On the other hand my '03 Outback didn't have anything put on and now the hood is all chipped and starting to form minor rust spots, which I will have to eventually get repainted and get a clear bra put on.

I'd recommend Lamin-X since that is what the previous owner used on my Forester and I also used the same brand when I had the headlights and fog lights done.

·
Premium Member
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT Steel Silver Metallic
29 Posts
I put the Lamin-X on both of my subies, a 2011 2.5i CVT and it has saved my paint on the bumber and the hood, however I do have nicks and chips where there is no protection and that is to be expected.

I just picked up a 2012 WRX and also did the same.

After almost 2 years on the Outback the film is still clear and shiny and minimal damage. I did have a big rock hit the front of my bumper from a dump truck and it just mared the film just a tad, but I think left unprotected it would have been way worse.

The local company I used only uses the Lamin-X, but there is the 3m product out there as well.

I'm sure there are both similiar and offer better protection than left unprotected.

It is in my opinion a worthy investment if you plan on keeping you vehicle for a long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you to the both of you. I will search out the Lamin-X. Did you install yourself or have a professional install it?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I had the lights done by pro after failing to install a piece on one of my headlights :rolleyes: The hood and fenders were also done by a pro.

·
Premium Member
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT Steel Silver Metallic
29 Posts
C9chief,
I had mine professionally installed, because it came with a 5 year warranty if anything went wrong.

Plus I believe its not a real easy process to do because of all the angles and the need to use a hair drier to heat, stretch and mold.

Let us know how it tuned out!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again everyone for the advice. On a side note, how do I get my car information from the left hand column of my profile to the bottom of my post like you guys?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I figured it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am going to get a clear bra! Now I just have to decide; 3M or Lamin-X? Any help here?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fortinv,
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
50 Posts
My parents got the 3m kit installed on there 350z back in 2002. It costed a pretty penny but they never had a single rock chip in the 8 years they owned it. When they went to trade it in it helped with the value due to the fact the car was in perfect shape. It has been 10 years so I am sure the kits are a lot better today.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Padam!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts