Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find in the DTC stickied thread: is it possible to clear VDC codesj? Subaru dealer told me they have to charge me standard diagnostic to clear my codes.. so $127. Which is pretty beat.

Obviously, standard ODBII scanner can't do this job.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Couldn't find in the DTC stickied thread: is it possible to clear VDC codesj? Subaru dealer told me they have to charge me standard diagnostic to clear my codes.. so $127. Which is pretty beat.

Obviously, standard ODBII scanner can't do this job.
I made my '17 OB post a code last night, hooked up my Actron CP9185 scanner and and found that due to my messing with oil pressure sensor connections the problem was a code for no oil pressure. My scanner allowed me to clear this code and all the blinking lights where gone. I bought this scanner back in 2007. First time I connected to the OB I was surprised it came right up and found the Subaru. It also displays more info with the Subaru than an any other car it's been connected to.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this does not show how to clear them?

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/19053-05-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html

maybe disconnect the negative of the battery, and pump the brakes a couple times to make the brake lights come on, wait a half a hour and reconnect.

and see what crops back up.
Killing the electrical doesn't seem to do it. I had the battery out to pull my airbag this morning and lights stayed on.

Maybe I'll drop by and talk to one of the service guys, see if they can just throw me a 'freebie'.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
Killing the electrical doesn't seem to do it. I had the battery out to pull my airbag this morning and lights stayed on.

Maybe I'll drop by and talk to one of the service guys, see if they can just throw me a 'freebie'.
nice if you can find a shop guy to do that,...like he takes a car out for a test at lunch time, and he nicely parks next to you.

subaru specialty shops have the stuff too. (be it the real deal or the aftermarkets).

______

hope it is not a persistent code though. (nice thing = few people talk about real VDC problems. even in the oldest ones like mine).

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
@eagleeye

The linked thread is only for reading codes -- it doesn't have any capability to clear codes.
@FLWhite*17

The oil pressure code was for an engine-related problem. Pretty well any OBDII code reader/scanner with code clearing capability will clear engine codes. ABS/VDC codes are stored in a different control module, and very few if any generic OBDII code readers/scanners access it. Same for Cruise Control, Airbag, and in many cases, even the AT TCU.

Also, I seem to recall that codes stored in the ABS/VDC module are non-volatile. The system retains, I think, the 4 or 5 latest codes, dropping older ones. Even if a fault is repaired, and the warning lights go off, the code remains in memory. This is not the case with engine related codes in the ECU.

The only tool I've seen that can access the ABS/VDC control module to clear codes is the Subaru Select Monitor and similar aftermarket tools that are licensed by Subaru (have the proprietary software needed) and are very expensive.

If anyone knows of a way to clear ABS/VDC codes easily, they would have a very interested audience.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
@FLWhite*17

The oil pressure code was for an engine-related problem. Pretty well any OBDII code reader/scanner with code clearing capability will clear engine codes. ABS/VDC codes are stored in a different control module, and very few if any generic OBDII code readers/scanners access it. Same for Cruise Control, Airbag, and in many cases, even the AT TCU.
Thanks for setting straight, when I saw ABS tied to the VDC a bell rang. And I knew my thought process was once again failing me. I have been wanting a new scanner that will do ABS and more than the one I have does. But it is much better than the days of of counting the sweeps of the needle on an analog VOM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts