Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2013 premium w/AWP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a clicking or rattle sound around passenger side dash area quite frequently on my 13 outback. It sounds like a some plastic piece came loss. Does anyone experience same issue? What's the fix?

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Could it be the sunglass holder or something in the glovebox?

·
Registered
2013 premium w/AWP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be the sunglass holder or something in the glovebox?
It is more from the a/c vent or mirror area. The noise is there even with glovebox open and empty out all the stuff in the glove box

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
I had the same thing with our '13. When driving the rattle came from the passenger side, my wife and i switched spot and from the passenger side it sounded like iy was coming from the driver side. I tried everything. When i got home i shut the drivers side rear door and heard the rattle. I found the shield by the rear of the drive shaft was vibrating against a platic piece. I adjusted it checked for clearance never heard it again.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
5 Posts
Same here: it sounds like it comes from either the passenger side dash or the door panel. Definitely plastic and not metal. From inside the cabin. Mine is 2013 Outback Premium. I hope someone from SOA marketing is reading this now.

·
Registered
2011 Outback and Legacy 2.5i Premium w/ All Weather Package
152 Posts
I noticed a clicking or rattle sound around passenger side dash area quite frequently on my 13 outback. It sounds like a some plastic piece came loss. Does anyone experience same issue? What's the fix?
I have the same issue in my 2011 legacy and my wife's 2011 outback...very annoying.

Nick

·
Banned
238 Posts
I had the same thing with our '13. When driving the rattle came from the passenger side, my wife and i switched spot and from the passenger side it sounded like iy was coming from the driver side. I tried everything. When i got home i shut the drivers side rear door and heard the rattle. I found the shield by the rear of the drive shaft was vibrating against a platic piece. I adjusted it checked for clearance never heard it again.
Could you please provide more details on how you fixed this annoyance.
What shield was vibrating against what?

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Could you please provide more details on how you fixed this annoyance.
What shield was vibrating against what?
I will second that. It has been hard for me to isolate it on my own, and I have an appointment coming to replace wheel (finish defect, cloudy when wet) and try and fix this rattle.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Rattles can be extremely difficult to track down. It's amazing how the sound will travel and bounce off things so you think it comes from one place and it's actually another. I just found one that's been bugging me for about a month. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger's door or seat belt area. This morning I was going crazy and just started touching and pushing against everything I could. Noise ended up being the little slide out part in the sun visor buzzing. Moved the thing a bit and the noise is gone. Ears are so easily fooled.

·
Registered
2013 premium w/AWP
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same here: it sounds like it comes from either the passenger side dash or the door panel. Definitely plastic and not metal. From inside the cabin. Mine is 2013 Outback Premium. I hope someone from SOA marketing is reading this now.
After 10 days shop time and a Subaru engineering visited the dealer, they finally pin point the noise, it is a defective shock. They replaced the shock and noise is gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently, i've noticed a clicking noise going off randomly. It sounds like a ping pong ball hitting the table. It was very annoying. Based on the findings I found in this forum, I learned the problem comes from the seat belt bucket. I tested it out by driving without the seat belt and of course, there was no clicking noise. It only occurs when the seat belt is fastened to the bucket. I followed the advice from other posters by spraying WD 40 into the bucket and two days later, the clicking noise went away. I have the 13 OB LIMITED SAP.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/moonroof package and Illumination Package #2 Dark Grey Metallic
67 Posts
I am experiencing the same clicking that the OP is experiencing (behind passenger dash). It occurs on bumpy surfaces. I am pretty sure it's coming from the suspension. What should I tell the dealer? What should I expect from the dealer? So far there are no noticeable mechanical problems besides the clicking.
I don't want to seem like a picky customer but the car only has 3000 miles on it and the clicking (which just started 2 days ago) is bothering me.

What to do????

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/moonroof package and Illumination Package #2 Dark Grey Metallic
67 Posts
anyone else have this problem??

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Look outside the car where the windshield joins the hood. There may be some leaves stuck down there. I had a rattle on the drivers side. I thought it ws a speaker going out. Try that first

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2013 OB 2.5 SAP. It sounds like a soft click. I hear it mostly before I accelerate or just before I stop. I hear it around the the driver side seat belt or console. It's starting to drive me a little crazy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2013 OB 2.5 SAP. It sounds like a soft click. I hear it mostly before I accelerate or just before I stop. I hear it around the the driver side seat belt or console. It's starting to drive me a little crazy.
that is a different sound.. that is the shift lock solenoid...

it's normal... discussed at

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...nt/21406-click-cvt-console-when-stopping.html

the clicking i am hearing occurs over bumps and originates in the far passenger corner where the dash meets the windshield...
i haven't checked for debris yet (hopefully i'll find something)...

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Speaker cover flexing and rubbing the dash in the upper right corner. I recall another person posting about those two rubbing and making some noise. Little adjusting of the cover might fix it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Speaker cover flexing and rubbing the dash in the upper right corner. I recall another person posting about those two rubbing and making some noise. Little adjusting of the cover might fix it.
i'll give it a try... i have noticed that the speaker cover doesn't seem to fit like it should...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 OB 3.6R. I also had a clicking sound (fingernails tapping on formica table) coming from what seemed like behind the driver side dash, near the lower left corner of the front windshield. Dealer traced it to the shock, transmitting the noise through the firewall. They fixed that by messing around with the shock, which stopped the tapping, mostly. The did not replace it, though. Now I'm hearing the same sound on the passenger side. It is annoying. I plan to ask them to replace both shocks next time it's in for an oil change.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts