Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was some intermittent click sound coming from my new 2013 Outback. Finally, I narrowed it down to the driver side seat belt buckle area (even when I'm sitting with the seat belt fastened).
Anyone had similar issues? (I know there was a guy who made a video about some seat belt buckle rattle)...

This is not a rattle.. this is some kind of a click/clang sound...

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same thing going on it's driving me nuts - hopefully someone has some info on a fix. I'm going to ask the dealer about it when I go in for the first oil change unless I can find out something here beforehand. My wife put her hand on the belt housing area and said she could feel it clicking when it did. I was driving on some hilly / curvy roads in southern Ohio this weekend and it was clicking like crazy.

·
Registered
2013 premium w/AWP
39 Posts
I had a similar problem with my corolla. I sprayed some WD40 and fixed my problem. Hope, this may help u.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem as well. Bought my outback in April of this year. I just took it into the dealership this last weekend for it's first oil change and made the tech go out with me on a test drive because he "didn't hear it". He heard it on the test drive, and fiddled with it until he could reproduce it. He then went to another outback and reproduced it on that one. He said what he thinks it is is some kind of spring inside clicking, but because it was on the other one, he couldn't say it was bad. He said next time I bring it in, come on a day other than Saturday and he'll call his rep and ask if they can put a new one in for me. Not sure what else to say other than I'll wait for my next change to do that, unless someone else figures out how to fix it.

·
Registered
2011 outback 2.5i limited cvt
180 Posts
had my seatbelt buckle replaced-new one did the same thing. drivers side buckle is adjustable vs the passenger side. unfortunately this adjustment causes the clicking noise-normal

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I think this is been ongoing since the 10 model year. I had it and sprayed a very very small amount of WD-40 inside the buckle and it solved my problem

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I had a noise coming from my seatbelt buckle after a couple thousand miles, the dealer said it was a known issue and did some type of fix and it immediately stopped. Hasn't reoccured in 40k miles.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
15 Posts
Thanks guys. Sprayed it just in where the buckle goes into the, um, buckler? or beneath that area, where things connect to the bottom of the buckler?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Same, the clicking drove me NUTS, always happened when I changed my weight in the seat due to a tight curve or acceleration. I followed the advice of another thread, but the bullet and sprayed WD40 in the buckle mechanism, leaving the windows open all day to let the smell dissipate. Click has been gone for 8 months now...hope it doesn't come back tomorrow!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Special Appearance
5 Posts
Same, the clicking drove me NUTS, always happened when I changed my weight in the seat due to a tight curve or acceleration.
Same issue here. Hard to replicate when just sitting in the car while it's not moving.

Going into the dealer today to see if they have a fix. I like my car smelling like leather, not WD40.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
I think all cars have inertia switches integrated with seat belts so that they lock, when you apply brake or generate certain G-force, while turning.
Does this click just click randomly or only when you apply brakes or turn? If so, there is your culprit. Those circuits may be defective....or it's a click that the inertia switch generates...

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's great I found this thread. Have the same click sound (2.5 2013 Limited), but I always thought it was coming from the console by the arm rest. Same general area... Almost started taking it apart.

I'll try some silicone spray when I get home.

Thanks, guys!

These things are rattle traps. I've been chasing down rattles since the first week. Making progress...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
179 Posts
I have the same issue. I brought it to the dealer twice and of course both times I was told they could not duplicate my complaint. :28::28::28:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
This issue drove me bonkers. Even time I would go around a corner or shift my weight I would get this click from the "buckler" using the term used here. Eventually I bit the bullet after reading the other thread, sprayed WD 40 into the "buckler" , left the windows open as long as possible, and the problem disappeared. Took a week for the smell to disappear, but well worth it.

Christopher

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update:

Went to the dealer couple days ago after reading the forums about this issue. Mentioned my problem. Service adviser said he had not heard anything about this. I asked about using WD40 as a possible fix. He recommended using a dry graphite lube, as spraying liquid inside the buckle can cause dust/dirt build up and that could be a bad thing long run.

I tried the graphite, had no effect on the clicking sound.

My car is currently at the dealer, I did a ride along with the tech to make sure we were talking about the same sound. He's going to try a silicone spray because its a little heavier. If that does not resolve it, they are recommending replacement of the buckle.

The tech also mentioned that there is a known issue with 2011 or 2010 Outbacks, and the driver buckle. The issue is described as a rattle, not a clicking. I asked the tech if he ever had one of those in for service, and he had not. So he couldn't tell me if this was a similar issue.

Responding to Jogosub, the clicking is pretty much random which is why it's so tough to nail down. Breaking or turning is when it's easiest to replicate it seems, or bumps, but that appears to be because of flexing on the seat belt lap band pulling on the buckle. Moving around in the seat while driving straight will also sometimes cause this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick update:

-The dealer took out the seat, re adjusted the seat belt buckle, and sprayed silicone inside the buckle itself. This resulted in noticeably less clicking, and slightly quieter clicking. Overall I would say 50% better.

-However, it still drives me crazy, so i'm having the dealer replace the entire seat belt buckle next week.

-All this was covered under the 3 year/ 36,000 warranty

1 - 20 of 23 Posts