Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've periodically had this issue where there is a clicking noise from around the dash causing the battery to drain. This occurs when the key is out of the ignition, and the driver side door is closed. It stops when I open the driver side door. Battery, alternator, starter, etc. are all fine.

Now the problem is constant to the point that I have been disconnecting my battery for the past couple months every time I park the car overnight.

Any help would be wonderful. Thank you!

Note: This is NOT the clicking from the alarm that occurs when you disconnect the battery, which is associated with flashing lights and fixed by holding down the button under the dash.

(1998 Outback)

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
722 Posts
rumbler,

Two things come to mind.

One, is that the driver's door open or closed changes the situation. Is there a short or a broken wire inside the rubber gaiter that the door wiring harness goes through right at the door hinge area? Open/closed door stretches/shortens the wire inside its insulation? The gaiter is easy to pull from the body, peel back and have a look at the wiring bundle. Then reseat the gaiter in the body, and then pull it from the door end, pull it back and again check the wiring bundle from that end.

The second is to view the YouTube videos on car electrical drain tracing. There are many of them. Eric the Car Guy has an excellent video showing the step by step diagnosis to nail down an electrical drain. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help! Sorry--I didn't detail that the clicking actually stops if I press the button on the frame that tells the car when the door is shut (which you do with the door open), so it's not the wiring bundle.

As for the parasitic draw, I should have done that long ago--just started pulling fuses when I hear the clicking to see which causes it to stop. Thank you for the video recommendation!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the help! Sorry--I didn't detail that the clicking actually stops if I press the button on the frame that tells the car when the door is shut (which you do with the door open), so it's not the wiring bundle.

As for the parasitic draw, I should have done that long ago--just started pulling fuses when I hear the clicking to see which causes it to stop. Thank you for the video recommendation!
Hey rumbler, did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same exact problem in my 2011. Clicking in the dash and door and battery drain each night.
Please advise
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts