Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, noob to the forums here...hope you all can help me out...I have a 2012 Outback, 2.5, base model. 14k miles, problem started about 7 k miles ago. After starting, and accelerating between 10-15 mph, I hear a short clicking noise coming from (I think) the driver side front wheel. The noise sounds similar to the locks locking (not the problem though) or stones rolling around inside some piece of plastic body. I only hear the noise after the car is started (ie, it's off, then I turn it on, start driving, hear the noise, and only once until the car is turned off then started again). any acceleration from a stopped position as long as the car remains on is fine (no noise)...So I'm thinking that it's maybe some kind of initialization for some system (AWD maybe), but is as far as I can tell only coming from the right front wheel. I don't think it's a cv joint problem, as turning is fine with no noise. As far as I can remember, the car did not make this noise since I bought it, and only started about 7k miles ago. I'm baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
ABS brake check - we get about 1 topic post every month on this. LOL

All cars do it some louder than others or for some people it happens right at a particular moment where they notice it as they leave their house etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that too but it seemed weird that I only heard it coming from one wheel...thank you though! now I can rest easy.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Once a month? Once a week or twice a month is more like it, had one just last week.

The reason it sounds like it's coming from only one wheel is that the ABS system is centralized, and the pump/motor/module is above the right front wheel. Information on this noise is also found in the book that should have come with your vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
hallux
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing