Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2013 Outback with approximately 4,300 miles. There's a random, not constant, clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from somewhere near (above/behind?) the glove box. The noise occurs when driving on uneven roads or when driving over cracks in the pavement / road. I've noticed in this forum that several people have reported a similar problem / noise in their 2013 Outback's as well. Nearly a month ago, the dealership said they found a loose "bunch of cables" behind the glove box that they secured, which they claimed was probably the issue. This was not the case; the clicking noise has persisted. Today, the dealership claimed they couldn't find and/or fix the problem because the noise could not be replicated. Of course, as soon as I started my drove home (70+ miles) from the dealership, the noise was constant. Some people have posted the following problems were causing the clicking noise: "Defective Shock, Strut Tower, and Shield by the rear of the drive shaft was vibrating against a plastic piece." Has anyone experienced this clicking noise, and if so, how was the problem rectified? I mentioned to the dealership that I'd read about some of the posted causes of this noise, (Defective Shock, Strut Tower, and Shield by the rear of the drive shaft was vibrating against a plastic piece) but the dealership claims that these causes wouldn't produce a clicking noise in the dash. I'm not satisfied with the dealership's response, and I tend to have more faith in the people that posted to this forum. Please help, suggest, inform, and/or advise me. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,475 Posts
Is this it?

If so, the ABS motor is vibrating on the strut tower when the computer is activating the system to maintain traction. The right side strut tower which is in close proximity to the firewall in front of the dash assembly.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I "feel" clicking noise, when I keep my hand on automatic gear selector lever while accelerating ... is that the "noise"" that you guys are talking about? It may have something to do with that gear selector or CVT - but, I consider that normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have noise in my 2013 outback, and it sounds like a frog noise. Also, some high pitched electronic type of noise. It is not constant but it happens with the engine is on, and not necessarily while driving. it is intermittent. The first time it happened, my wife took it to the dealership, they acted as if she was crazy. The second time around, she drove straight to the dealership and had them listen to it. They could not figure out the issue for several days. Now they are saying a subaru rep is going to call us. I do not have a lot of faith in the dealership and their mechanics. Hopefully someone will post a solution to this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are having noise issues with our 2013 Outback. The noise is coming from inside the dash either center or passenger side. It is more of a buzzing sound that happens between 1400 and 1800 RPMs. Most prominent at 1600 RPM. The buzzing is only on acceleration and not on deceleration. It started when the car had about 1000 miles on it. It now has 14K miles and its now worse than ever. It has been to the dealership 3 times for it and is going in tomorrow for the fourth time. We are very disappointed in this car. The dealership has managed to disassemble the dash twice and stuffed foam blocks in various places. One place is under the lense where the clock is. Yes it is visible from all passenger seating positions. The warmer it is outside the noisier the dash is.

A week ago when we got the car back from the dealership for the third time noisy dash issue, the car started making a new noise in the rear of the car. The very first right hand turn after the car has sat overnight is sounds like a large dry dirt clod is breaking loose and splattering the underside of the car. It did do it once when four adults got into the car relatively at the same time. the car wasn't even moving.

This is our first Subaru and probably the last.

I will keep everyone posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts