Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought our second subaru a week ago. Its a 2003 ll bean outback h6 160k. Took it for em/safety inspection, passed fine. After the inspection, I got in the running car and pressed the brake pedal. There is a loud click every time I press the brake pedal while the car is in park. In addition, Moving the shift lever slightly to the right with foot off brakes also causing a loud clicking. No problem shifting out of park, no problem with brake lights etc, just a loud click that wasnt there before they inspected the car. I watched them inspect the car and nothing out of the ordinary was done. After informing them of the new noise and asking what they thought it was, they said it was normal. Then head guy gets all agro and defensive which led me to say a few choice words. I'm guessing it is an interlocking relay or something. Not malfunctioning, just really loud and right after inspection. Do I need to start checking stuff, and what could have caused it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It definetely is a loud noise coming from inside the car, and it definetely wasnt making this noise before the inspection. I really really listen to a car for the first few weeks of owning it. These are loud non normal noises.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
The noise is normal, and is easily audible, I don't know what could make it louder than normal though.

It is the interlock that keeps you from shifting from park unless your foot is on the brake.

Make sure you keep an ear out for the serpentine bet pulley bearings getting noisy. The tensioner and idler bearings don't last as long as they do on the 4cyl cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do failing pulleys sound like? recipts show that car was towed in and pulley (hopefully pulleys) were replaced a few years ago. P/O changed oil often, but neglected at fluid. I had it drained and filled twice and they changed the filter and ran some a/t seafoam through it. Fluid looks good, but still smells a bit burnt. Trans shifts well with no problems. Thinking about disconnecting battery to erase "learning" trans has done. Might be silly but I'd like to "teach" it to shift based on my ultra gentle driving. Am still a bit concerned about interlock noise because my wife will be driving car with 5 y/o and infant in tow and would hate it if they got stuck somewhere. will play it by ear. New to forum and unsure of ettiquitte. Only answer my questions if it makes you happy to share info. Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I would say the noise is normally clearly audible but not loud.

If it got louder, maybe during the inspection the relay got knocked loose and it is laying against something acting like a sounding board.

If the interlock fails, the little removable cover on the silver shifter bezel comes off and reveals a spot to insert something to release it out of park.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise was loud enough that three guys at the inspection station could hear it while standing out side the car. Looked for loose connectors near where they plugged in the smog computer to the cars computer but didnt see anything. Hopefully if the relay has moved or something, it will still function normally. Its not the noise that bothers me, its the idea that it might be failing. I enjoy working on cars when I have the time, and have looked for a repair manual for the 2003 h6 outback with no luck. Every manual I find is for the h4 outback only. Have you had any luck finding a manual for your h6? Hope the weather in central NY is ok. It is howling here outside of Boston tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
william77
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing