Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my first post here. I have a 2002 Outback Limited. I bought it two months ago with 145k miles on it. I've recently noticed there was a clicking noise when I drove a few days ago. Usually happens when I go over 15mph, but it stops when I brake. Today, I found that the clicking elevated to a slapping sound, like something was hitting the car. The noise seems to get faster as I drive faster. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,606 Posts
One of many possibilities is a CV joint gone bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Sube that did this. It was a misfire in cylinder 3. It sounded like a pop. Like a popcorn kernel popping against a tin can. The pop happened in the exhaust pipe under the center of the drivers seat. Sometimes if it was really doing it a lot, there was also a smack sound further up front. If this sounds like your problem, start with new spark plugs. And new wires wouldn't hurt. HTH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts