Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 outback limited 2.5 std. ,2002 outback base 2.5 auto, 2000 outback sport (Impreza) no motor now
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, front CV joints rotors, pads, ball joins, new balanced drive shaft, tires yet when I drive it it sounds like the old baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle spent too much $$ trying to stop the sound with no success anyone know what the problem is ??? My last 2002 lasted over 300,000 miles never experienced this issue Oh and the wheel bearings too please don't want to give up my faith in outbacks

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,077 Posts
checked the axles to be sure they are fully inserted in the diff?

maybe a fender liner is drooping or bent and rubbing on a tire?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,143 Posts
So lets back up a minute.

When does the sound occur?
Is it speed dependent or all the time the car is rolling?
Does engine speed change the noise?
Do turns change the noise?
Does clutch pedal application effect it?

Can you record it?

·
Registered
2002 outback limited 2.5 std. ,2002 outback base 2.5 auto, 2000 outback sport (Impreza) no motor now
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, check the brake disc dust covers, that the brake calipers are free, and the parking brake at the rear is free.
Thank you probably the install of the new cv's... fenders are clear of loose material and the plastic skid plate that was hanging down has been replaced and had a problem with installing the one of the wrist pins I'll get on it and get back to this feed to inform all that the axle was the issue thank you again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So lets back up a minute.

When does the sound occur?
Is it speed dependent or all the time the car is rolling?
Does engine speed change the noise?
Do turns change the noise?
Does clutch pedal application effect it?

Can you record it?
Not the dust covers checked them it's road speed only while in motion not rpm or if clutch is engaged or not engaged definitely in drive line installed new driveshaft instead of the one I rebuilt the vibration stopped noise still persist going to check passenger side CV since there was an issue reinstalling wrist pin

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,315 Posts
If you can, safely, putting all 4 wheel on jack stands and let it roll in first (at idle).

Listen closely at the rear of the transmission (near the driveshaft). It's possible the C-clip in the center diff has popped out and is contacting the transmission case (internally).

If that's quiet, you can get a chance to narrow the noise outside the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how can I repair that c clip it's definitely in the trans wish I knew that before buying and replacing all the Drivelines parts and clutch plate n throw out bearing

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,315 Posts
So how can I repair that c clip it's definitely in the trans wish I knew that before buying and replacing all the Drivelines parts and clutch plate n throw out bearing
Unfortunately, the only real fix is a new center diff. You might be able to tack-weld the ring back in place, but it's no guarantee it will hold. And usually, if the ring has popped out, the viscous fluid likes to leak out, rendering the center diff useless.

Luckily, the center diff was the same for 98% of 5 speed transmissions after 2001. A low-mile used one or a new one would do the trick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok looks like I'll put the old 2002 automatic with 300,000 + miles back on the road replace the diff I'm up to 1800 in parts besides this prob it's like a time travel back to 2002 when it rolled of the lot plan on taking it on a rideabout to the lower 48 National Parks adventure how do you feel about the billet strut lifts, that and a magnaflow exhaust was the next step but a diff is needed thank you for your advice Ive been trying to solve this since June when I purchased it for $ 500.00 Well worth the time these cars have never let us down and to now have a 5 spd minus the turbo it's as fun, dependable with more space and ground clearance as our TT Audi again thanks for the info on completing and solving a mind boggling issue have an awesome future!
Karen & Burney

1 - 10 of 10 Posts