Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently encountered a clicking noise underneath my dash. It appears to be coming from behind the instrument panel. It certainly sounds like an electrical issue, all my electrics seems to be working just fine though. Any idea on what it could be, i have temporarily solved the issue by hitting the dash which stops the noise for a while. Some days it doesn't come on at all, others it comes on a couple of times during my 30 minute commute. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cardoc, looks like you know what you are talking about... Last night the clicking happened again, so i began pushing buttons, turning things on off etc to see if i could stop it. It stopped when i switch the air flow on the blower from the defroster to blowing through the mid vents on the front of the dash. Note that there is sometimes trouble with the blower in that when switching the air flow, it doesnt always rechannel the air like its supposed to. What do you suggest next?

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
The Mode Door Actuator is behind the instrument panel, top side left of the center portion of the assembly. See the pic.

To get to it, you need to remove the instrument panel. Then remove the motor and from there you will be able to see if the door is being blocked by something or is broken or not.

Most likely, the motor is worn out, so I would suggest you have a new motor available when you take the panel out.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, where do you suggest i purchase this part from? Also, is it a big deal to remove the instrument panel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a couple follow up questions after looking on the parts warehouse website, seems like there are multiple door actuators and "mode door actuator" does not show up with anything. Any chance you could give me a part number or point me further in the right direction?
1999 SUBARU LEGACY Parts - Subaru Parts Warehouse

Also, do you have any idea where i might find a dash removal walkthrough?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
Item 4 here: 1999 SUBARU LEGACY Parts - Subaru Parts Warehouse

As for the details in removing the instrument panel or part of it. I would have to type for a while to fully walk you through it. It may be possible to get to the motor from under the dash with the lower panels removed. With the panel removed, look up into the dash and you will see the motor mounted toward the top of the ducting. Its the only door motor on the driver side. Its been a while since I had a Gen 1 dash apart or had to replace a motor for the mode door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cardoc, so i replaced this in January this year. In August i'm having the same problem, i had a look under the dash and seems like there is no blockage or anything, could it have gone out again, so quick? anything i could do to try and make this work without replacing another one?

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
When you replaced the motor the first time, was the door moving freely? Did you check for debris?

What's in your glove box?

I had a customer a few months ago with noise in the dash when the temperature was adjusted. It was a Chevy Tahoe. She kept the small napkins, plastic utensils, ketchup packets (I don't know why the hording) and various other things along with envelopes and the owner's manual. The glove box was so packed, that little things were falling to the other side, interior of the dash, when the box was closed and eventually a napkin got sucked in to the HVAC assembly and lodged between the edge of the temp door and wall of the assembly. Made the door move tightly and eventually burned out the motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah the glovebox is for the most part empty (not crammed full). The door seemed to be moving freely when i replaced it mmmm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback clicking noise

Hello. I also have the same issue. The mechanics said down by the clutch on his own Subaru is the security system and key fob/keyless entry. I was told that this part was clicking and the mechanic himself disconnected the wires and never had an issue since. He did not want to pay for the replacement part so he did what he did.
I am going to try this same approach and hope it stops. If it is not the issue, then I assume blend door actuator motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This probably isn't it, but I was worried about a seemingly random clicking noise coming from the dashboard on my 1995 OBW, that sounded somewhat electrical. Turns out the odometer clicks a little when the odometer tenths of a mile turn over to "0".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
4 Participants
10tictacs
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing