Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
05 3.0R Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my dream car! Subaru Outback ;)

However I am having some issues with the clock/information display on the 2005 outback I just bought.

The display is not working (however the 'bright' button still functions). After I disconnect power to check all the fuses, it started working all ok, but once I switched back on all accessories (I think either stereo or A/C), the display went out again.

So just wondering

a.) if anyone has experienced similar issues?
b.) Secondly if anyone knows how I can remove the clock module, it looks like it the whole vent/storage/clock assembly might just pop out of the dash. However I don't have much experience with pulling cars apart (my electronics skills are much better!), so would prefer to confirm this, before I go hacking at my new car :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, snorkel, skid plates, etc...
1,037 Posts
The center section does come out fairly easily and there is a connector on the back of the clock/display unit that may need to be snugged up. You can use a plastic paint scraper or pick up a trim removal tool to pop it out.

Are you sure the display is not working at all? Sometimes, with the headlights on in the daytime, the display is nearly unreadable.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i Limited, 02 Audi A6 3.0 Avant Quattro
981 Posts
I read that b4. There is a DIY post somewhere re how to fix the clock.

·
Registered
05 3.0R Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Superu, I will get myself a trim tool and try pop it out!

Absolutely certain the display is not working at all. (well it did work for 5mins after re-connecting power, but thats it).

Bigdadi: would that be the Forester clock fix? I have seen that one, and hoping its something similar, but the outback clock/display unit is likely to be quite a bit different.

·
Registered
05 3.0R Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manage to pop out vent/storage panel pretty easily!

Found and fixed a bunch of dry joints, but its still not working. Most of components are under the VFD display, I bet there are more dry joints under there :mad: One power transistor in particular looks pretty dodgy, but cant access without de-soldering the screen.

This looks like it might be come quite a job to fix, but replacement unit is $400, so I guess its worth it..

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
412 Posts
Do you have the clock part number? I might have a new one in the box and for a lot less than $400.

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
412 Posts
The part number I have is 85201AG020. It is for a 2005 for sure but not sure if they are all the same. Looks like an old part number. I can post a pic since you know what yours looks like if you are interested.

·
Registered
05 3.0R Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is 85201AG060.

I am guessing yours is probably in imperial (miles, F etc) and not metric(km, C) like we use here in aus?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For anyone interested, I mentioned at the dealer's that the clock was dead. The dealer said that is a typical flaw with my Outback 2005 model. Mine went dead gradually; At first I got the clock to wake up giving it a bang on the dashboard... Finally it was dead alltogether, and had it replaced at the dealers.

·
Registered
05 3.0R Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally got around to fixing this issue.

Turns out to be exactly the same problem as with the forester clocks, just that in this case the resistor is underneath the display. Which makes it a bit more fiddly to fix.

However it was sufficient to just desolder the 2 legs on one side of the vfd display and then bend it up out of the way.

The culprit is R4 (marked "511") the solder joints here were in a bad shape and in need of a re-solder, I also resoldered the transistor TR3, since it also didnt look great either.

Now it is working perfectly!

·
Registered
17,708 Posts
Good sleuthing and repair work, and the pic should be very helpful for others with the same problem. Thanks for following up with the post.

·
Registered
05 3.0R Outback
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indeed, I never did come across on details about the outback clocks on the interwebs. Even though there is plenty of info about the forester clocks spread across the various forums. I guess the lure of saving $450 for a new unit, was more than enough to do what had to be done. I suppose in hindsight I could have taken a few more pics and made a tutorial out of it, however I didnt :( In anycase anyone with basic electronics/soldering skills should be able to complete this repair, and I would be happy to answer any question that might arise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks darkxst for your very helpful information on the clock fix. It worked a treat, even when my husband was very sceptical!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worked for me as well, though I haven't seen any visible issues with R4 and soldered the first time in my life. The clock OEM number was a little bit different - 85201AG010 - but the problem was the same. Thanks a lot for tip!

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2004 2.5i
1 Posts
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would never have worked that out by myself. Just looked at the picture, went ahead and tried it, and hey presto - everything's working again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a similar problem, the resolder method didn't work,

I am currently trying plan B, i will let you know later if it works

Mart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep! Worked in my Outback 2003.

After driving around for over a year in my Outback 2003 without the clock working (knowing that this resoldering method was floating around the web) I finally sat down and tried it out. I was unsure about it as my 511 R4 did not look bad to me, but saying this - I have not anything to do with computer boards...
Anyways I resoldered that thing after looking at a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIJMfrbCQM

I also resoldered the big resistors on the backside as well, although they looked okay to me but someone else described that as a possible issue as well.

I have not soldered before and thought that I probably destroyed everything with overheating, but hey IT WORKED! THANK YOU!!!

:29:

So now I have to get onto my reverse lights. They are both not working, I bet there is some easy fix for that. Some loose cable...

Has anyone heard about something like that before?:1zhelp: Typical problem for an Outback 2003-2009 model?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I've had same problem with my Legacy 2004, but in my case two resistors were loose. At first I've soldered R4 marked 511, but clock still remains blank. Finally I've found other resistor R13? (not sure right now) marked 511 but smaller (probably 0603 size). Now everything works fine.

Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I came across a little different problem. In fact soldering of R4 was cracked. But along with this problem the Zener's diode ZD4 was broken, too. So voltage of L1, TR7 and finally ZD4 which drive pin 4 and 9 of VFD (pin 4 and 9 I mean the hole number) was too low. Problem with ZD4 was unstable and strongly temperature dependant so it was a little hard to recognise. Here you have a hi res photo with the description layer:

Here is a link to GIMP document where you can hide the description layer to get a clear view of PCB: PCB top side with comment layer
To run the module on the bench you have to connect pin 10 of connection header to GND and shorted pins 6,7 and 8 to +12V.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts