Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the subject line of this message is confusing, well, it was meant to be.

I set my clock right away when I first got my '04 OBS. Without reading instructions for it I just figured it would be like any other digital clock, i.e. press set then hours and minutes and set again. Some such method, anyway.

Didn't happen as expected, but I did get the hours and minutes to stay just by ignoring the set button.

So here it is, now, over a month and a half since doing that and I read the owners manual today. It didn't exactly clear things up about that set button. Says it's for a "radio time signal" but no more explanation than just those words and that it'll change minutes to 00.

Just so happens I have a Casio wristwatch that uses a radio time signal for keeping accurate, called a WaveCeptor, otherwise I'd be thinking my owners manual contains a typo. However, I also got to thinking maybe it was trying to say it could set a time to turn the radio on. Hmmmmmm.

Well, I still don't know what it really means. Does anyone? Could these simple-looking clocks actually be polling for a time signal by radio? And if so, why press a set button unless it only does so once while pushing that button? It's that double zero minutes thing that confuses me, but what happens besides is the hours will invariably change to some random number too.

Okay, maybe one or more of you already know all about this, but I sure haven't seen any mention of it around here. If anyone can clarify what the clock is doing I'd appreciate any and all feedback about it.

·
Registered
2005 OB XT Ltd MT, Garnet Red
134 Posts
Maybe it means when you're listening to the AM radio and they say "the time at the tone is ****" you push the button! Hence "set . . .radio time signal" . . .

(if true, would this qualify as over-engineering?)

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, actually, I think you're right about it rgombine. Although, it just seems strange to me.

I drove out to the grocery store tonight thinking about it some more and that's all I could think the owners manual is really saying (with the help of your reply).

Pressing the set button at the tone of a 'on the hour' radio time signal would certainly be good for accuracy. I tried pressing SET again and noticed it either jumps to the next hour, if beyond 30 minutes, or the current one if not yet beyond to 30 minutes. So it's obviously minute-zeroing for the associated hour.

Curious thing to me because I don't recall any clocks doing this until my Subaru came along.

·
Registered
'04 OB Wagon
81 Posts
There are some clocks that are synchronized via the cesium-atomic clock located in Colorado. This is used as the benchmark for maintaining the exact time, based on the half-life atomic decomposition of the cesium atom. I suggest this:

Set your clock for the "radio time signal" at the end of the day and disregard whether or not the clock automatically goes to 00 or whatever else it does, leave it alone and go have dinner. My reasoning for this is that the time signal may be transmitted as a pulse every 10, 15, 30 minutes or so, rather than a continuous signal. Return later in the evening and see if it adjusted itself for the correct time.

This is just a hunch, but give it a try. I am not a radio or clock expert, nor do I claim to be one. I just happen to know lots of otherwise useless trivia.

Kurt

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm 99% sure it's just for manually synchronizing the time to a radio station that has a beep signal on the hour. Now if the car had internet built in it could easily synchronize with that atomic clock at NIST... :D

·
Registered
'04 OB Wagon
81 Posts
Perhaps I got carried away on my previous reply. I must admit that Jondalar's answer does make a bit more sense. However if I ever get on Jeopardy, (a trivia game show here in the States, Jondalar), I've got that one covered.

Kurt

·
Registered
2005 model Manual n/a 4 cyl 'Safety' model. 1" longer King Springs KYB rear struts & 1" subtlsolutions strut blocks, giving 2" total lift. Have a 'top half' luggage barrier.
69 Posts
Yep, push the 'set' button when you hear what we call the 'pips'. (i.e. "beeb, beep, beep, or whatever is your local equivalent.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts