Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Subi lovers, I recently got a 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback Sedan. It has 125k miles and I am just doing all the maitnence that will prevent future problems and help her run healthy. (new head gaskets, PCV valve, new plugs and wires, switched to Mobil 1) so anyway my next upgrade is going to be a battery, wire harness and ground wires. My clock gets about 5 minutes faster each week, does anyone have any clue what would cause this ? And is an Optima red worth the money? I'm just guessing but I thought that some problem with my cars circuitry would be causing the clock to creep forward, thanks guys and gals:29:

·
Registered
205 Posts
My clock gets 2-3 minutes fast every month or so. It's been doing that since new. I should have brought it back to the dealer for servicing but I just kept winding it back to the correct time. Now I just use the clock on my radio instead. One time just for curiosity sake, I compared my car clock to a plastic watch from a box of cereal. The watch from the cereal showed no noticable deviation after a month and the car clock was minutes off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's funny stuff, I am stuck doing the math in my head "T minus 40 minutes okay +30 minute drive I will be there at 8:15"

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
there were some Foresters that had cold solder joints in the clock circuitry. i Suppose a bad connection to a small capacitor could throw the oscillator off a little. Might not be worth the hassle of attempting a repair unless you or a friend has some electronics re-work experience. maybe swap a unit from a junkyard?

So far, my favorite battery is the top-of-line unit from O'reilly. It is similar technology to Optima, completely sealed AGM with some new-ish silver technology. I think made by Deka in PA. Long warranty too.

but $$$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing