Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
EJ25 swapped VW Bus
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to pick up a 2nd gen Outback 2.5L to use the engine/harness/transmission in my 1972 VW Bus. Plan is to pull the parts I need in one weekend, then scrap the rest of the car.

Any parts I should keep that would be useful to this community? Common failing parts?

-Zach

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
trans probably has value if known good, if axles are OEM (with the green-painted inner joint 'cups') they have a some value.

folks usually want rear cargo tray and the security cover if they are still with the car. maybe rear pass cup holder....

rims could have some value....

if the radio has the weather band, someone might want it.

if you have the space to keep the car, do a part-out. post on craigslist?

shipping gets crazy but in Austin, local pick-up might bring some buyers.

that's all I can think of - nothing really super critical comes to mind though.

you should consider swapping the headgaskets on that engine while it's out - multi-layer steel type. Fresh VC gaskets and double platinum or iridium NGK plugs too. japanese bearing idlers on the timing belt system, OEM or mitsuboshi TB, OEM or aisin waterpump unless the car is under 100k miles or so - wp could wait for next TB service. check for weeping cam crank seals, OEM preferred. maybe check for air/oil separater leaking on back of engine. should be metal plate and OK, older engines leak like crazy but had plastic cover.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
If you have space for it, you can part most of it out eventually and just have a basic shell to get rid of.

Rear cup holder if not broke.

Any lights if in decent shape, especially fog light guards.

Rear center garnish (big red piece saying Subaru) if not broke.

Cargo tray and cover if equipped.

Wheels and tires can net you easy money on craigslist.

Grille is easy to pull off.

Radio is easy to pull and should net a few bucks on craigslist, same with speakers.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
..... same with speakers.

not sure door speakers that old are worth the trouble but, If it has the tweeters at the side mirror gusset - those will sell I bet.

it's just about finding the right customer but; driveshaft, rear diff mount/subframe, even the engine undercover if still intact have value to someone somewhere.

If it has really been a Texas/southwestern car most of it's life, should be limited amount of rust.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
off a cloth seat one like that:

front tow hook cover. rear cargo cover,

____

hope the head gaskets were done already. (look for extra tabs sticking out of them, and/ or one sticking out of the intake manifold).

my choice would be a JDM EZ30D 212hp for a VW van project, but to each their own.

____

edit: I am thinking that is a 2000-2001 based on the grill. and the cup holders.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,251 Posts
I'd take the dash panel around the glove compartment if it has no tears ( looks like some discoloration near the top?) - mine has a tear up high, and yours looks like the same color.

If it has the double cup holder center console, there will be interest in it for '00-'01's that have only the single cup holder console.

If it has a leather steering wheel, somebody with a Legacy might be interested.

Just about everything in the car would be of interest to somebody with a gen 2 car, but it may take time to sell.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Down south cars with ZERO rust get junked. Up north i see people spend 1k's to fix rust to keep them going.

·
Registered
EJ25 swapped VW Bus
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies!! Very helpful!

Even though I've got a 2-car garage in Central Austin, which is a rarity :) the car will have to be gone within a week max... I've got too many project cars already taking up space in my condo parking lot. I'll have room to store stuff in my spare bedroom and that's it.

-Zach

·
12,306 Posts
In that case, I'd pull off the head lights, tail lights, rear center garnish, fog lights and grills, tow hook cover, cargo tray and cover and any thing else you can pull from the interior for easy storage. All that should sell decently on craigslist or ebay.

Body panels take up lots of storage space.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
bump:

whole center stack bezel with a working cup holder is nice to pull off 2000-2001. (people with busted ones want the, and occasionally 2002-2004 people looking for a extra cup holder or a place to park a cell phone that is not "too big")

to use one with something like a disposable coffee cup is bad news for the radio if you stop the car short though.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I'll take the gas cap, provided it has an unbroken tether.

PM me.

·
12,306 Posts
About to pick up a 2nd gen Outback 2.5L to use the engine/harness/transmission in my 1972 VW Bus. Plan is to pull the parts I need in one weekend, then scrap the rest of the car.

Any parts I should keep that would be useful to this community? Common failing parts?

-Zach
Looking for a passenger headlight dust cover/wiring thing, if willing to pull. I don't need the whole headlight housing. Just the white dust cover and attached wires for the low, high, etc.

·
Registered
EJ25 swapped VW Bus
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: So I purchased the car in the photos, changed the oil, and was preparing to sell the transmission before pulling the engine, BUT I've decided to keep the car as it's just too nice to dismantle. Even though it was deemed 'totalled' by the insurance company (due to a low speed tap on the rear bumper) and now has a salvage title, absolutely EVERYTHING works on the car. I know a family that's in a hard place at the moment financially so I'm going to loan them the vehicle. I'll get it titled, registered, inspected and in the road again.

It's pretty amazing how easily an older vehicle will be totaled. I can replace the rear bumper and hatch with color matching used ones from a junk yard for about $200, yet the body shop probably said it was a $2,500 repair and painting job so it was a total loss.

Now I'm on the lookout for an actual damaged beyond repair vehicle to use the engine. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, and I may have parts available from one I pick up in the future. The Subaru conversion on my VW will happen this year. Cheers!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
UPDATE: So I purchased the car in the photos, changed the oil, and was preparing to sell the transmission before pulling the engine, BUT I've decided to keep the car as it's just too nice to dismantle. Even though it was deemed 'totalled' by the insurance company (due to a low speed tap on the rear bumper) and now has a salvage title, absolutely EVERYTHING works on the car. I know a family that's in a hard place at the moment financially so I'm going to loan them the vehicle. I'll get it titled, registered, inspected and in the road again.

It's pretty amazing how easily an older vehicle will be totaled. I can replace the rear bumper and hatch with color matching used ones from a junk yard for about $200, yet the body shop probably said it was a $2,500 repair and painting job so it was a total loss.

Now I'm on the lookout for an actual damaged beyond repair vehicle to use the engine. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, and I may have parts available from one I pick up in the future. The Subaru conversion on my VW will happen this year. Cheers!
closing up this thread, so you don't have to field requests for people that don't see this update.

please start some new threads.

if I had my choice as to what to put in a heavy VW van it would be a JDM EZ30D engine as others have done. (212hp, 210torque),
low miles, no head gaskets and about $600 or $700 to buy. (some JDM importers right in texas, so cheap shipping, or maybe close enough to go grab up,...one guy on here got a EZ30D in a toyota camry sedan trunk, )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.