Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Legacy Outback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, over the past couple of days i've begun to notice a clunking noise emanating from the shifter when shifting from park. The noise doesn't occur when shifting into park. Furthermore, the shifter feels unusually heavy and feels like it has some flex before it will actually move into reverse.

Since I can't yet post links, I'll just leave the tail for the youtube url. Still new, hope I'm not breaking any rules, but seeing that video content isn't supported and the content is my own...

Edit:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi all, over the past couple of days i've begun to notice a clunking noise emanating from the shifter when shifting from park. The noise doesn't occur when shifting into park. Furthermore, the shifter feels unusually heavy and feels like it has some flex before it will actually move into reverse.

Since I can't yet post links, I'll just leave the tail for the youtube url. Still new, hope I'm not breaking any rules, but seeing that video content isn't supported and the content is my own...

/La5Mo_YHTKA
Is this happening on flat ground, or on hills?
If you are on a hill, it's likely from strain on the parking pawl. I know mine are hard to shift out of park on hills.
Next time, try setting the parking brake before shifting into park. This will take strain off the pawl if that is the cause.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts

/La5Mo_YHTKA
no rules broken (spam filter just makes you have 10 posts to link something like that, ...as a effort to discourage spam bots, and spam bot like people).

was trying to make a working link for you, but I

searched on that and not coming up with anything

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
Park pawl aging. Especially noticeable on inclines.

I would come to a stand still with your brake. Hold the brake.
Put the car in neutral. Set the parking brake. Let your foot off the brake. So the parking brake catches it. Then move the shifter to park.

That's the sequence I would use to park my gen 2 as it would roll several feet in park.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
no rules broken (spam filter just makes you have 10 posts to link something like that, ...as a effort to discourage spam bots, and spam bot like people).

was trying to make a working link for you, but I

searched on that and not coming up with anything
Fixed now. I got you fam.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy Outback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, all of you. That's a reasonable guess, but this seems to be happening on level ground. Not that it's been parked on a hill in a while. Airports tend to be built on pretty flat ground, after all. Plus I'm a parking brake fanatic: no matter what, if the car's stopped, the handbrake is set.

I don't exactly know how hard the transmission was used by my mother prior to it coming to my possession, but I remember the pawl feeling fairly worn (at ~65,000mi) when I was learning to drive. Always just assumed it was a Subaru thing. The salesman when my family bought the car made a big point that the transmission takes an awfully long time to shift into gear due to AWD, and that you needed to be patient and wait to feel the torque converter before driving off.

The fact that it's such a plastic-y noise makes me think it might have something to do with the lever itself, and not emanating from the transmission itself. I was planning on wrapping the trim on Friday to protect it from future scratches. I'll probably have another poke around in there then, since I'll have that area taken apart anyways.

One other question that just came to me. It might point me in the right direction:

When I had the cover off, the white plastic interlock mechanism would only move when I actually moved the lever. But, when I returned the lever back to park, the interlock would remain disengaged until I lifted off the brake. Is this how that functions on the other cars with this transmission, or might it be catching on something until the shift lever bumps it free?

Edit:
Just had a revelation that could isolate it. I'll try sticking something into the hole down there to bypass the solenoid. If it doesn't happen, then at least we'll know where the issue isn't

·
Registered
2003 Legacy Outback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, in taking it apart for the 3rd time, I seem to have found the issue. The insulating foam from around the coin tray got lodged inside of the guide for the plastic dust shield. Not entirely sure how that managed to catch it up, or if this is genuinely what was wrong, but I'm happily shifting quietly again now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts