Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I hear clunking noises when driving up/down my driveway, as well as when I break suddenly. Attached is a video taken today, which you can see the control arm moving forward at 00:46 (I was pressing my brakes over and over), then at 01:21 you see the control arm move forward again. It appears as if the control arm is hitting the sway bar. Is the control arm the only issue or can you see anything else that might be causing the forward movement?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
how do the rear bushings on the lca look?

·
Registered
01 outback-5sp-UEL-wrx wheels
76 Posts
ive done these bushings before without removing the control arm completely, it was tricky but doable. if the bushing is soaking wet that means the boot is cut and leaking the grease thats packed in there from factory. i'd say take a look at the other main LCA bushing as well, in my mind, if that was shot, it would allow the entire arm to flex the way it is. Mine was clunking really bad on heavy braking but i did inner/outer tierods, those rear arm bushings and ball joints but now i just have a clunking when i go over the little lip at my driveway and potholes, so i think it may be my struts.

·
Premium Member
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,593 Posts
Thanks for doing that video. I'm hearing clunks in some of my cars and this gives me an idea of what might be happening.

I've gotta get a gopro

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
you have 2-3 ways to proceed. If the car has been doing this very long, the inner bushing on the LCA may be shot? and maybe the ball joint? Some folks are buying Mevotech (?) lcas loaded with a new ball joint. Basically, yes, you can replace the rear bushing with not much other disassembly (but there's gonna be a lot of torque/effort needed on most cars - rust will double the hassle)

the rear bushing - there's OEM ($$$) there's a Febest or OES(?) brand from Amazon (maybe other places?) that is affordable, ebay shows Motorking(?). There's a couple of sources for polyurethane if you can toloerate more harshness/noise/vibration.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I ended up buying a pair of motor kings. Should be here on Tuesday, that's when I'll replace my old bushings.

Update : received bushings and replaced old one. Attached picture of damaged bushing. Clunking noise now gone.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts