Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Legacy Outback. After replacing both cv joints (left & right) twice to fix a “clunking while acceleration” problem, the problem still persists. Subaru’s suggestion is to just start replacing parts to see what works. I’ve also had an independent mechanic say the same thing. Not a practical option, I must say. Now what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
I have a 2005 Legacy Outback. After replacing both cv joints (left & right) twice to fix a “clunking while acceleration” problem, the problem still persists. Subaru’s suggestion is to just start replacing parts to see what works. I’ve also had an independent mechanic say the same thing. Not a practical option, I must say. Now what?

Steelman Chassis Ears

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,814 Posts
check the rear bushing on the lower control arms.

check trans and engine mounts.

describe sound and when it happens better. is it 1-2-3 clinks, repetitive in time with wheels rotation....? happen in reverse? touching brakes help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

describe sound and when it happens better. is it 1-2-3 clinks, repetitive in time with wheels rotation....? happen in reverse? touching brakes help?

It is coming from the front end. No pattern to wheel rotation or while in park. I’ll try reverse. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Accelerating up a hill and/or while turning mostly right. Nothing while braking. Also, a transmission guy looked at it.

·
Premium Member
17,814 Posts
swapping axles L-to-R and seeing if the noise happens on left turns would **** or exonerate axles.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Do you drive over snow berms in / out of the driveway?
I bent two hangars on the exhaust once going through a snow berm at the driveway. I had a loud thunk in the floor between my seat and my feet. Exhaust bumping the floor pan. Spring weather I finally got under there and bent the hangars and got rid of the thunking.

·
Premium Member
17,814 Posts
did this come on slowly, or was work done to the car before it began? new tires? new axle? a wreck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you drive over snow berms in / out of the driveway?

I bent two hangars on the exhaust once going through a snow berm at the driveway. I had a loud thunk in the floor between my seat and my feet. Exhaust bumping the floor pan. Spring weather I finally got under there and bent the hangars and got rid of the thunking.

No snow. I’m in San Diego and 81 degrees out!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,147 Posts
Have you checked your transmission mount?

Attachments

·
Registered
gypsy danger: 07 outback 2.5i touring. often broken?
158 Posts
The upper engine mount (Rod that stretched to firewall) has caused a strange clunk on my car before. It looked tight, but when I checked with a wrench the top bolt was loose. I originally thought it was a bad c.f. shaft as well.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It doesn’t happen in reverse. It’s worse when accelerating on a right turn, but happens often on left turns. It sounds equally bad on left and right side from outside the car. When I take my foot off the gas it stops. After the car is driven a bit the clunking gets worse upon any acceleration except down hill.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
You still haven't really described the problem accurately. Could you take a video or recording? No idea if it's continuous clunking or intermittent or only on shifts or what.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You still haven't really described the problem accurately. Could you take a video or recording? No idea if it's continuous clunking or intermittent or only on shifts or what.
I believe I have a similar issue with a 2007 outback 5MT. What started as a slight groan while accelerating on right turns, gradually progressed (over 30k miles) into clicking which turned into clunking. The clunking is now constant, sometimes even felt in the steering wheel. The front passenger wheel has pretty severe positive camber, understeering in lefts, right turns can shake the steering wheel. “ER 55” on dashboard along with ABS, CEL.
Putting the car on a lift tonight, will report any solutions. Any suggestions are welcome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts