Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Outback 6MT
Clutch has started squeaking and feels creaky in the last 1/3 of its travel to the floor, especially when warm, whether the car is running or not. Sound is definitely from the transmission area, not the pedal. The clutch itself feels just fine, no slipping whatsoever and the uptake and release feel completely normal.

Dealer says they will replace the fork and throwout bearing (under warranty of course). This seems to be very low mileage to have to do this. Sound like a correct diagnosis? (it does to me). I go pretty easy on clutches and never had a problem in any car under 80k+. I would hate to have them pull the tranny and not resolve the problem.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
2011 Outback 6MT
Clutch has started squeaking and feels creaky in the last 1/3 of its travel to the floor, especially when warm, whether the car is running or not. Sound is definitely from the transmission area, not the pedal. The clutch itself feels just fine, no slipping whatsoever and the uptake and release feel completely normal.

Dealer says they will replace the fork and throwout bearing (under warranty of course). This seems to be very low mileage to have to do this. Sound like a correct diagnosis? (it does to me). I go pretty easy on clutches and never had a problem in any car under 80k+. I would hate to have them pull the tranny and not resolve the problem.
This new 6spd is different than the old 5spd but from your description there could be multiple causes or just one based on what my 5spd did.

#1 the pedal travel and creaky effect could simply be the cylinder being flawed on the hydrolic end very simple device subaru has used for years and very cheap and easy to replace not part of the actual transmission. The 5spd MT it was actually bolted to the back of the engine block. The pin would be compressed about a half inch or so and the cylinder pressure then actuated the physical clutch in the transmission. With the old 5spd pedal travel being short and not returning to the full position on hot days was due to a bad hose that expanded in the heat - or a bad cylinder that just had some type of pressure issue. Mine was $190 bucks and took them an hour to do. Never had an issue after that.

The creaky effect in the 5spd MT was almost always due to road grime and dust getting into the pin area and causing this effect and noise again the 5spd MT I would wipe off about once a year when it started to get noisy.

Throw out bearing and fork are internal to the transmission. The release or throw out bearing when they start failing will squeal when you have the clutch released and the car in neutral they will get louder and louder and eventually damage the primary input shaft. The Fork is actually related to the shifter and gear selection totally unrelated to the hydrolic cylinder on the clutch or the squeal of the release bearing. A damaged fork will cause issues with getting gear selection with the shifter and can also result in gears popping out after you have selected a gear etc.

So my guess is that they do not know what the issue or issues are till they actually look at it.

My experience with forks is that they are 99.99% of the time damaged by improper use very rare case of a fork being faulty but it can happen. A release bearing even with the old 5spd MT which was famous for them to fail they were generally fine till you were in the 130,000 - 150,000 mile range not 20K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing