Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My First post here. Great forum!
(Moved here from General)
I have an urgent need. I think my clutch just gave up the ghost. I'll start with the patients symptoms, then follow up with a few questions. I Need help today to make the best decision.

For a good while my 98 legacy OB has had a bearing whirl sound until I drive a mile and it clears up. So, I prayed and was glad that it cleared up! Seriously! For many months. Shifted fine too. I wish all jobs were that easy. Thanks Lord!
Recently it started a high pitched, but quiet "squeal" when starting out in morning with the clutch in. It nearly cleared up after warm up. I think it was the same throwout bearing, but just a guess, so please don't sue me for medical malpractice.

Just this week, I was aproaching a light barely moving. It turned green and I started in 2nd when I should have gone to 1st! 馃槵
Now it squeals like a belt real loud, again only when I press down on the clutch to shift. It shifts and doesnt seem to slip, BUT the car has a slight forward pull when stopped and clutch pedal to floor as soon as shifting into 1. So with the pedal pressed all the way when stopped, shift to first, then it pulls before letting up. Then the engine sounds rough and shakes like its about to stall when applying the brake at the same time.
Yes, I have already prayed. Now I'm asking for help so I can do this job myself. I plan to pull the engine. Hopefully, I will be able to fix my old floor jack first.

A few Questions:
1. Any educated opinions on this option?
I cant afford an OEM kit right now; ($3,500+ bill due soon). I'm Considering a kit with flywheel for $250 from Auto Zone local. It doesn't include a repair sleeve in case the spindle is grooved. However it has a lifetime replacement warrantee and is in stock now.

2. Ebay has all kinds of cheap, ( $60 and up ),kits that come with a repair sleeve. Probably have to wait a week to get it in. I think I'll keep this car one more year for snow and work. I'm guessing that you get what you pay for. Are they as durable as picnic utensils? Any recommendations on brand, etc for under $250?

3. My legacy OB had the standard 2.5 engine and I got tired of giving dishonest mechanics lots of good $ to replace bad head gaskets and bad work. I paid Sube Shop Brandon to replace the last one with a 2.2 liter from an impreza.
Q: Since I kept the same tranny, (not to be confused with bruce jenner types with pink accents), am I right or wrong that the clutch for a 2.5 engine should be compatible with the 2.2 replacement since it mounts to the tranny the same?
(Dealerships and locals don't know, but some of the online sellers show compatibility with about every 90's model subaru.)

PS: Will replace the rear seal. Any compatibility issues? I wish I had more details than 2.2 liter.

Thanks,
Kryptek

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1 Lucky Texan!
I'll check that .
A long time ago, a couple clutches were replaced on other cars. They were trashed in a couple of months after the mechanics replaced the kit.
If you want something done right sometimes you have to...
I had to replace it again but by myself and discovered that they both did not replace the return spring. After I added that new one (less than $5), the clutches lasted the life of the cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The reviews ive read sound like that Exedy would be a good choice. I dont / won't know if the flywheel will need replaced until i pull the engine. Its original. Costs too much to have a machine shop turn it. I remember when it was under 20 bucks. Now I was quoted$150-200 to reface one!

Will probably go with that one exedy, a compatible flywheel, the fork you recommended, bearings, retainer, return spring, anti seize and a spindle repair sleeve in case.

I took it back out for a drive and definitely has a bad bearing. Loud sqeal when depressed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I think Exedy is the go-to brand folks like for clutches - I haven't had to have mine replaced yet but would def. consider Exedy if going after-market.
I placed an order for the Exedy kit from Parts Geek.
I asked if it came with the fork and they assured me that it was included, so I shouldn't buy it separately. The Parts Geek geek lied. I confirmed with Exedy corp because the parts geek hasn't sent it out yet. This is the first order with Parts Geek and I already see it was a mistake.

I should've listened to their company theme before sending payment. 馃槖

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Im not regretting the Exedy kit. I just regret ordering it from the pencil necked Parts Geeks. Its going on 2 weeks and nobody from the company will communicate with me. No tracking # either.
When this guy answered the phone , I should've known to take my business somewhere else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
Kryptek
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing