Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 outbacklegacy wagon rocky mnt.edition
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,,:). I am fairly new to subys..just over one year..I have a 99 outback wagon ( legacy) 5 sp. mt..It's the wifes' car. well 3months after we bought it the clutch failed.Had it replaced 10 months ago.. Now, the clutch is slipping again !! My wife is : should i say not real kind with a clutch ! I did the basic test from the haynes manual of clutch inspect/check. no faults noted at this time. It is however slipping somewhat.. is it possible that the fluid system may need bleeding ? The fluid is nice and clean,just a visual.I guess what i am really asking is : can air in the system cause slippage ?? clutch freeplay and height- tension seem fine.. Thank YOU all for any input..:mad:

·
Registered
75 Posts
My friend killed a clutch for 3 months.
Before, he replaced the clutch basket, disk and bearing. All parts were made by 'exedy' - expensive.
At this time he just replaced the frazzled disk. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm..so he just went for the disc..well, i'll have to think about that one..Thank You..

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,778 Posts
The hydraulic system on the clutch is similar to the brakes. A master cylinder provides the pressure to the system to activate the slave cylinder. If the slave cylinder or MC is malfunctioning in a manner that is not allowing the fluid to back up to the reservoir, then it could cause slipping.

An under reactive left foot could cause slippage as well as accelerated wear.

LUK and Sachs make good clutch disc. Stage 2 disc last a long time and put up with left foot issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks cardoc ...I will re-read the manual and see if i can find a way to verify proper functioning of the slave and/or mc..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Vitaliy,,did you mean a higher point at the pedal when the clutch engages ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts