Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback/2.5L/5MT/173k and counting...
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i will try to make this short; i have. 98 obw 5 speed. I did overhaul 50k miles ago (head gaskets, clutch,seals, timing belt water pump, ect, ect) Car has been great and i love it but i think i need to pull the engine and do the clutch again. It does no slip but i think the throw out bearing and or the release bearing is going. The clutch is kinda 'loud' when driving, sometimes creeps forward with clutch push in and in gear, and i never replaced the flywheel when i did the overhaul. So i think its time for a total clutch job, even though im still driving the car everyday for now. But i am just second guessing if i should or not, heres the thing i have a 1989 ford broncoII eddie bauer sitting at home just needs minor things its mechanically fine. To get my subaru to where i would want it is gonna be 500+$ i need new clutch kit,flywheel,rear trailer arm bushings, and both front struts and mounts, along with other little things and thats doing all the work myself obviously. I dont doubt that the subby will hit 300k miles if i did all that seeing as it has 207,xxxmiles now. Its just hard to say what to do.. Ive put alot of money and even more time into my OB and i really do love the car but its never gonna be worth more than 2000$ even though i am into it way more than that already. I got the bronco for 200$ all it needs is a tune up and parts are cheap as dirt for it. So theres my story, what do you guys thinks. Let me hear your opinions/feedback/Scolding for considering going from a subaru> ford :eek:

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hey guys i will try to make this short; i have. 98 obw 5 speed. I did overhaul 50k miles ago (head gaskets, clutch,seals, timing belt water pump, ect, ect) Car has been great and i love it but i think i need to pull the engine and do the clutch again. It does no slip but i think the throw out bearing and or the release bearing is going. The clutch is kinda 'loud' when driving, sometimes creeps forward with clutch push in and in gear, and i never replaced the flywheel when i did the overhaul. So i think its time for a total clutch job, even though im still driving the car everyday for now. But i am just second guessing if i should or not, heres the thing i have a 1989 ford broncoII eddie bauer sitting at home just needs minor things its mechanically fine. To get my subaru to where i would want it is gonna be 500+$ i need new clutch kit,flywheel,rear trailer arm bushings, and both front struts and mounts, along with other little things and thats doing all the work myself obviously. I dont doubt that the subby will hit 300k miles if i did all that seeing as it has 207,xxxmiles now. Its just hard to say what to do.. Ive put alot of money and even more time into my OB and i really do love the car but its never gonna be worth more than 2000$ even though i am into it way more than that already. I got the bronco for 200$ all it needs is a tune up and parts are cheap as dirt for it. So theres my story, what do you guys thinks. Let me hear your opinions/feedback/Scolding for considering going from a subaru> ford :eek:
Your already into it for more than its cash value. But assuming the rest of the car is fine and as you pointed out the major things are done your call on if they were done well. Which case going in and completing the Clutch job that wouldn't be an issue had the full job been done to start with - your looking at a cheap car that you know very well mechanically that should for all intents and purposes be in pretty good nick.

Pulling the plug on it for something as basic as a clutch when you've done all the really costly stuff already seems a tad silly. As for the Bronco - we all know those old Fords start out needing a tune up - then you discover it needs other stuff etc. There is NO such thing as a CHEAP Maint FREE old car. That Bronco seems like a larger more mechanically complicated unknown than your current OB which more or less needs a simple fix and the rest of the hard stuff you've already done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts