Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here happen to know where the clutch override switch is on a '99 OBS? I'd like to be able to start the car w/o the clutch in. I usually leave my car in neutral w/ the parking brake on (a habit from the remote start that I have on my other vehicle), so I just want to be able to reach in and start it without having to depress the clutch.

Plus, at some point I might consider getting a remote start for the OBS, so this would be a much needed step anyway.

Thanks for the info,
Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I do not recommend overriding that switch. I did once on a previous car...then that one day after an oil change, I leaned in, turned the car on and it went. With me hanging out the window, hit a curb, got inside and shut her down. Scary experience. Anyway, there are many aftermarket remote start systems for manual transmissions already, so don't worry about the clutch switch. Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian,

OK, I understand your concern...but I have been in the habit of always leaving my vehicles in neutral for about 4 years now. I't second nature, so the chances of me accidentaly leaving it in gear are slim to none.

Anyway, I'm just looking for the location of the switch, and wondering if it's easy to override.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide...

Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Look underneath by the pedals, I believe there is a microswitch under the clutch pedal. But Matt, don't do it man, I'm beggin' you, don't do it:13: Brian

Protect yourself before you wreck yourself!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,

How do remote starts work for manual transmissions? Do they use the neutral position switch? If so, I could use that switch somehow to flip a relay that would only let me start the car with the clutch out if it's in neutral, right?

Any idea where the neutral position switch is, or how it works?

Thanks,
Matt

[EDIT]By "how do remote starts work for manual transmissions", I mean, how do the ones that are made for manual transmissions work...like I said, I have a remote start in my other vehicle that I installed myself, but I didn't bother with a neutral position switch...not even sure if it has one.[/EDIT]

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Well, obviously if they make remote starters for manuals, the clutch switch must be involved somehow due to no one in the car. I'm not sure about the neutral safety switch, but I'm sure there is a switch from the remote starter that knows it's in neutral. Possibly the original neutral safety is tapped into, it has to, huh? Let me see what I can find out about the manual remote starters, I know on another site they talk about it. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Well I'll be an SOB. I did some research, made a call and found out only one company really makes a remote start for a manual ~$500 But not too many people recommend it. Too much wiring, variables. So now that I am a little more informed, don't bypass that clutch engagement switch! And as for the remote starter, go buy an automatic I guess... Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh...yeah, I didn't think I'd heard of many companies (in fact, I've never heard of one) that makes a remote start specifically for a manual. All the ones I've ever seen have explicit "For Automatic Transmissions Only" warnings on them.

Oh well, it didn't stop me with my other vehicle, and nothing has happened with it. Maybe one of these days I'll mess with it and see what happens.

I'll let you know if I run into anything. ;)

Matt

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hei Ski4Ever, I know I am a month late on this topic, to find your clutch switch (if you haven't found it yet) just stick your head under the dash and push down your clutch pedal with your hand and watch where it hits the firewall. That should be it. This is how I found mine.

As far as disconnecting it, well, me personally keep toying with it and wonder how did our fathers, grandfathers, stay alive before them. Just remember, if you screw up and crash your car and hurt somebody it is all you buddy. My switch is still intact at this time.

A neutral safety switch breaks the circuit to the starter motor unless the shifter is in neutral or park. I am not sure if manuals have them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Geez you Americans are safety conscious, never heard of such a thing here, there's not a car sold in Australia that has this as far as I'm aware (could be wrong, often am), autos's have to be in Park, actually had one where you had to have your foot on the brake to start it. As for remote start, I can see why you'd want it in a cold climate, but is it legal?

Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes Karl, those safety switches is a definite US thing. The first time I tried to start a manual here (get in, make sure car is in neutral, turn key) nothing happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
The_Lizard
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing