Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my Manual Gearbox Outback 2.5L for about 5 years now and it's done 185 thousand now. I'm not a mechanic but am technically minded and have done several major mechanical repairs in the past, but now days prefer to get someone to do them for me due to having limited space.

Over the last year it's occasionally demonstrated an issue with the clutch mechanism and by experience it's when the car has been running for more than 2-30km. But is doesn't happen all the time, but today happened twice in one day.

Normally on a clutch pedal depress, I feel the clutch resistance in the pedal form the start of the operation and I am permitted to change gears with no problem. Gear change can be performed at a point the pedal is depressed about 3/4 to the floor.

But when the issue occurs, I depress the pedal and feel the clutch being engaged when the pedal is half way to the floor. Prior to feeling the clutch begin to engage I only feel the sensation of the clutch pedal return spring mechanism resistance. In order to fully engage the clutch I need to push the pedal deeply to the floor and the gear only just changes. Rarely on releasing the pedal the gear wants to pop out.

So, from the more experienced mechanics, what do you think the repair would involve and cause is?

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
My snap diagnosis is a failing master or slave cylinder. It'll only get worse and occur more often as the internal seals leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts