Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 outback, 2.5 na 5 speed. Just replaced the clutch 2 weeks ago- it had started to slip just a bit.
Got the new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing installed, ran good until last night and then started slipping again. Any body got an idea what to check? I was wondering about how thick a new clutch plate is supposed to be, as the new one wasn't that much thicker than the one that I removed. Didn't really check the new one vs the old one beyond making sure that it wasn't obviously the wrong size.

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fork looked good- just did a quick scuff of the flywheel w/ 80 grit, it wasn't really polished or glazed.
The only thing I kinda wondered about was the the new clutch wasn't all that much thicker than what was in there. I wasn't down to the rivets on the old one yet however it had started to separate a bit...

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Sorry dude, that sucks; crappy lesson to learn the hard way.
Been there, just about. I was working on a car where you had to pull the whole drivetrain to replace the clutch. I didn't put the slave on till after reinstalling the engine/tranny, and while installing the slave I knocked the fork off the TOB.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
what clutch kit did you put in? (brand/ stock #).

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK back again... working in a machine shop has it's advantages. Took the flywheel to work this am and resurfaced the flywheel, then put it back together again. Seems better now, but it's also quite icy in nodakistan right now. I think it's not slipping, but I need to get a few more miles on it to be sure. I may need to get a new flywheel at some point, there were a couple of hard spots on this one.

Kit was a Sachs KF 738-02 for O'Riley's.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
When I did my 01 at 140,000 that was with lots of boat towing and living in San Francisco. The release bearing was starting to squeal the clutch had about 10% left on it. Several Subaru shops said the plate wasnt a keep and resurface part given its always an issue modern cars simply dont have plates with extra material on them, weight , cost etc. Just replace it you wont have any more issues.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i Wagon 5spd. manual
10 Posts
On the second replacement clutch for my 07 2.5i. The first replacement was needed after the original throw-out bearing disintegrated, and we opted for an aftermarket brand installed by a non-subaru shop. The spring tension on the replacement clutch was so much higher than the original clutch, it became hard to drive. It lasted about 50K before the clutch fork cracked. Replaced the whole system with Subie parts and an now very pleased with how everything works.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,210 Posts
Usually the main reason for resurfacing a flywheel is to stop or prevent a clutch from shuttering. I can't say I've seen a flywheel cause a new clutch to slip.

Is it adjusted correctly?

It is possible you got a pressure plate with weak springs.

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The flywheel had been polished a bit too smooth for my liking. Since I work in a machine shop, it was no problem to take the flywheel in and dust off about .005 inch with shell mill that matched the machining pattern on the flywheel better than turning it would have.
I got a new clutch plate from the dealer, but I'm on vacation atm and won't get to it till next weekend. It's also -25 F at home, even with an insulated and heated garage, I'm not all that interested in working on it...
The new clutch plate seems to be a bit thicker than the one that was in the kit, although I won't know for sure untill I can get it out and measure it.
I may check the pressure plate as well, to make sure stack height is the same...

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so the new subaru clutch (exedy) is in, had a chance to measure thickness vs the original that was slipping.
New plate is .350 inch thick, old is .300... hard to think that .050 inch is enough to slip...
While the shed is warming up, wondering if I go back to the original pressure plate with the new clutch plate on the off chance that the new pressure plate isn't up to snuff. I'll measure the new vs old when I get it out. If that isn't it, I'm outta ideas on what it could be that is causing the slipping.

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Further update-
Tried the new clutch plate with both the old pressure plate and the new one. Still slips, about the same amount on both.

No idea where to go from here- maybe the kit was for the wrong car, and I need to get at least a throwout bearing from the dealership??

Also- power steering pump decided it's time to go out as well- looks like the o-ring thing I've seen mentioned. Car is about to head for the scrap yard, too many more problems (like about another 500 or so bucks and it's gone)

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It could be, but the pedal feel is about the same. I'll be checking all that again this week. When I first did the clutch, I did check that the slave was working ok- seemed to be, no leaking and smooth operation.

Going to check with the dealer later today about some measurements that I took of some of the parts this weekend while I was swapping them.

On the plus side- with a bit of cheating I can now get the clutch swapped in a bit less than 3 hours...

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
Check the snout of the transmission for grooves or "ridges". The TOB likes to wear-out the snout and cause grooves that make the TOB stick forward and not let the clutch fully engage.

·
Registered
2005 outback limited
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheat- don't drop the front CV's, just remove the axle nuts and get everything else out of the way, trans jack and slide the trans back just far enough to remove and reinstall pressure plate and clutch.

When I had the throwout bearing out the first time, the shaft seemed OK- no scoring or grooving, very little wear as the new one didn't have any slop on the shaft...

Will try to call dealer this morning, see if they have any ideas...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.