Subaru Outback Forums banner

clutch replacement

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  colorider 
#1 ·
Hello, everybody. I have a Y2KOBW. It has been a great car so far. It's got better brakes than any vehicle I've ever driven.
Now, I have 75,700 miles on it, almost all freeway and urban stop/go. Other cars I've owned (VWs, mostly) needed the clutch changed out after about 100,000 miles. Any experience out there as to how long a 'Roo clutch will last? I'm not having troubles yet, except the hydraulic clutch needs to be pumped up ( 1 stroke) when cool to operate correctly. (I bought the 5speed because I prefer driving manuals, and besides, it keeps the wife from driving it!)
I can't find any sort of inspection hole. Is changing the clutch a major PITA? After rebuilding at least 4 VWs, I'm pretty handy with a wrench. Or is it something nobody but the dealer should do.
Fine forum board, by the way.

#2 ·
in general, you should be able to handle it; just a LOT more wires n hoses than a VW to remove and mark.

depending on your clutch habits, an OB clutch shd be good for 120-150K or better.

the soft clutch when cold is prob due to water and/or air in the hydraulic fluid in the brake system...it's glycol based brake fluid, which means it powerfully absorbs water from the atmosphere....try flushing out old fluid and replacing with Castrol LMA or Valvoline "synthetic" (gold bottle, abt $7 a quart at otto partz)(NOTE: this is NOT silicone fluid but a synth glycol formulation) brake fluid. you HAVE replaced your brake fluid since you got car, yes? shd be done every 2 yrs for best brake effectiveness and corrosion prevention.

and welcome! we won't tell your wife what you said abt her driving your car....:D

#3 ·
treeman said:
Hello, everybody. I have a Y2KOBW. It has been a great car so far. It's got better brakes than any vehicle I've ever driven.
Now, I have 75,700 miles on it, almost all freeway and urban stop/go. Other cars I've owned (VWs, mostly) needed the clutch changed out after about 100,000 miles. Any experience out there as to how long a 'Roo clutch will last? I'm not having troubles yet, except the hydraulic clutch needs to be pumped up ( 1 stroke) when cool to operate correctly. (I bought the 5speed because I prefer driving manuals, and besides, it keeps the wife from driving it!)
I can't find any sort of inspection hole. Is changing the clutch a major PITA? After rebuilding at least 4 VWs, I'm pretty handy with a wrench. Or is it something nobody but the dealer should do.
Fine forum board, by the way.
I had 160K on my '88 and it still had the original clutch and brakes. Spark plugs and of course timing belts is all I replaced. Virtually 90% of my driving was highway miles.

YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.