Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my engine project I replaced the Slave Cylinder (Operating Cylinder) with a Beck/Arnley that I received from Advanced Auto. This was a direct replacement and the item appeared identical to the old unit on the vehicle.

I got it installed without issue and I replaced the Banjo Bolt and both brass washers (gaskets).

Tried to bleed the unit but I kept getting bubbles, I also had significant fluid leaking from where the fluid line is attached. I could not figure it out.

I removed the unit and compared it to the old unit and saw the issue. There was a raised lip on the Beck/Arnley. I included images with both the old and new slave cylinders. You can clearly see the raised lip.

I plugged the threaded hole on the new unit and took a small rasp/file and slowly removed the lip. I cleaned the shavings with brake fluid and use an air hose to further clean the new unit. I reattached the fluid line and tested it.

No Leaks!!!

Just wanted to post for those that may replace their slave cylinders. Check the new unit for any raised lip or similar obstructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
864 Posts
Just an FYI, Nabco is the OEM parts supplier for slave & clutch master cylinders. They're available through Napa & from online sources.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i - 5 speed - 191K
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it did not. The washers I used were new OEM. I checked and the BA did not come with washers. That being said, the raised lip was "slanted" which tell me it was not intended. Not sure what happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts