Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the clutch is slipping on my Y2KOBW.
Besides a worn out clutch disc, is there anything else that could cause this? Is there some sort of adjustment on the pedal or clutch-activating hydraulics?
Thanks,
Bradford

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
you can try bleeding the hydraluic clutch, but I seriously doubt that is the cause of the slipping. Slipping is ususally caused by a glazed friction disc and a glazed flywheel and pressure plate mating surface. The only known cure is to lightly sand/scuff the clutch friction disc and pressure plate/flywheel to restore some of the lost "grab". However, since you have to take it all apart to GET to those parts...most folks just replace the clutch/pressure plate at that time. Unless you're doing the work yourself, it will be cheaper to just replace the unit than to sand/scuff.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Random is 100% on the money. when the clutch hydraulics deteriorate (or the hyd fluid in them does), the effect is that clutch won't DISengage, not that it will slip. i think there may an adjuster on top of trqnsaxle where cable connects to clutch actuating arm, but unless someone has screwed with it, this shouldn't be the problem, as the normal wear patterns cause insufficient, not excessive, disengagement.

bummer. transaxle needs to come out. and if you drive it much with slippage occurring, you'll need a new flywheel if it has to be turned down to below min thickness spec due to rivet gouging (they live below level of friction surface on clutch disc, but when friction matl wears far enough, they contact flywheel.)

you can usu tell if you're having slippage by watching speedo relative to tach. sometimes you can nurse ailing clutch along if you absolutely have to, if it will bite at all, by short-shifting and using very gentle throttle, esp in lower gears. but if it's slipping even then, park it or prepare to possibly add flywheel to list of repairs. :(

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I think with todays late model Subies there is an adjustment for the pedal regarding the clutch. I thought I had heard that the pedal being out of adjustment can prohibit the clutch form engaging/disengaging properly. Anyone else have any ideas? Of course I would check the easiest first by seeing if the pedal can be adjusted. Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
bheinz57
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing