Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When idling there is a high pitched squeaky noise continuously from the engine.
Light pressure on the clutch pedal stops the noise.
Anyone got any suggestions what it could be?
5000km ago I had major work done on the engine and a spring was replaced on the clutch I can't remember exactly which one. After that the noise disappeared now it is back.
I am not impressed that it has come back so soon considering the $x,000s the repairs cost for a complete engine rebuild. The clutch plate was in good condition and not replaced.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,325 Posts
Usually, squeaking like this is the release bearing making noise indicating a worn bearing. It could be that the "spring" they replaced has failed. The only spring I can think of is on the pressure plate or the disc itself.

You should go over the receipt and check the itemized parts list.

Anytime I go in to a manual transmission for either engine or transmission removal for any repair and I find anything speculative in wear, I always suggest a new clutch kit, (clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing and bushing), because it only takes an additional 15 minutes or less to replace all the parts and the cost goes up $300-700 depending on the type of clutch set the owner wants installed.

That's just me. A lot of shops don't do things like that, save the customer some time and expense, but to me its just logical to get it done while your there.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
When idling there is a high pitched squeaky noise continuously from the engine.
Light pressure on the clutch pedal stops the noise.
Anyone got any suggestions what it could be?
5000km ago I had major work done on the engine and a spring was replaced on the clutch I can't remember exactly which one. After that the noise disappeared now it is back.
I am not impressed that it has come back so soon considering the $x,000s the repairs cost for a complete engine rebuild. The clutch plate was in good condition and not replaced.
Release bearing common failure between 130-180,000 miles. A proper clutch job involves replacement of this and the fly wheel along with the clutch. Not a big deal dealer repair price will run you $1200-$1400

Not replacing it will damage the input shaft and a new transmission might be the only way to fix it. Cars get old stuff wears out and needs to be replaced. This is one of those items. Not a big deal

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The other squeak when the pedal moves is usually just dust and dirt getting on the pin for the cylinder under the hood. Simple rag wipe down fixes that. I generally did a quick wipe twice a year and mine was fine for 11yrs 180,000 miles no issues.

Also just a suggestion you might want to find a new shop. Sounds like they may have taken your wallet for a ride given the pedal squeak is fairly well known and the simple wipe down every now and then cures that issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts