Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback H6 w/o VDC Wagon
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm unsure if it's an issue, but I expect it could manifest into one if not considered:

When I have my '03 H6 Outback Wagon in any of the drive gears (R, D, 3, 2, 1) I've started noticing a buzzing noise from under the middle of the car. After very briefly poking around the net, it seems that the cluchpacks may be a consideration at this point of the vehicle's overall life.

The engine swap has been a huge improvement, so I wanna ensure the battlewagon lives to fight for another day :grin2:

Currently, there's roughly 263k miles on the original transmission, with good upkeep and fluid changes. When I purchased it back at 180k, I changed the spin-off ATF filter out of habitual OCD tenancies. (If it's a filter, I wanted to be sure that I could say the last time that it had been changed)

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
buzzing can often be loose heat shields on middle-age or older soobs. sometimes folks just put a hose clamp on them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take a look for anything loose, but I didn't see anything when I was down there last. Also, would the heat shield issue only cause noise, even when the car is idle at a stop?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
sure, they do weird things.

it also seems that aftermarket and/or rebuilt axles often cause some vibration when stopped in gear. goes away in N. so, if not heat shields, maybe an axle???

if "clutchpacks" means the wet clutchpack in the trans tailshaft area - never read of a noise like you describe originating there when stopped.

anyway, heat shields are extremely common sources for buzzing or similar noises. but probably not the only source!

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,960 Posts
With the engine off, key on 'run', you can hear the transfer solenoid make different buzzings in different gears, that's the only noise I've ever heard from the trans.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was more of an idle pondering -- I'm not seeing anything adverse happening because of it, but at the same time, I hope it's not one of those 'fail all at once' things.

Back to fixing things that I know are wrong with it xD

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
If you are sitting next to a building, such as in a drive-thru line, roll down the window and move the gear selector from neutral to drive and you will hear the transfer solenoid buzz everytime you engage from neutral into gear. It will disengage in neutral or park. Engine doesn't need to be off for my 03 H6 to buzz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts