Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 LLBean
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I originally got these codes a few months ago and after bit of research just cleared the codes to see how long they'd take to come back. The engine runs compeltely fine and gas mileage has been great as well. The codes came back after about a month with a check engine light and a flashing cruise control light which locks me out of using cruise control. When they came back I bought some MAF cleaner, applied it exactly as the instructions said, reinstalled the sensor and cleared the codes again. Again, about a month later,the codes have returned. We used my friends wireless OBDII sensor to read the O2 levels while driving and they were all within normal ranges even while the check engine light was on. Do you think I have a bad MAF sensor or a bad O2 sensor? I'm not sure what to do next to diagnose the problem, any suggestions? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,777 Posts
I don't have any personal advice but this Nasioc thread suggest that when you clean the MAF you should disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and press the brake pedal to drain residual energy to reset the ECU. It also says an MAF with over 100k miles on it should be changed as they do go bad with time, and again reset the ECU. The bottom line is that it seems that an MAF slowly becomes less sensitive to air flow and will under-report air flow and slowly lean your car over time.

Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) FAQ: Read as you know less than you think you do! - NASIOC I read several pages of the thread and found it interesting and informative.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I would lean towards either a failing MAF or it's connector/wiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts