Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,977 Posts
I am going to ask ...

When the new plugs were put in, did you check the gap? I know, I know ... plugs today are gapped for you ... right? You are not supposed to mess with them. Damage to irriduim tips and a Blah ... Blah ...Blah. You know how many incorrect plugs I have found right out of the box ... more than you think. I don't trust any of them. I carefully check every gap before I seal it up in the combustion chamber.

Ask any good gas-fitter if they would ever trust anyone else to ensure the gas is off.

Nope!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
is it a active misfire with a flashing check engine light?

or a stored one.
It is not flashing, it is solid CEL. The app that I use says the code is Stored. Per my understanding the app means the code is active.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,405 Posts
It is not flashing, it is solid CEL. The app that I use says the code is Stored. Per my understanding the app means the code is active.

misfire not flashing = old and not active.

should cancel itself sometime and when it does go get your test.

(some take 400-500 miles to reset themselves. ) if you go 550 miles clear it out, and then watch you "readiness settings" and all those will light up ready and its your time to go

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
misfire not flashing = old and not active.

should cancel itself sometime and when it does go get your test.

(some take 400-500 miles to reset themselves. ) if you go 550 miles clear it out, and then watch you "readiness settings" and all those will light up ready and its your time to go
I am afraid it's been 400-500 miles, even more than that. CEL sometimes goes away for couple days, but always comes back. I did reset the code few times but CEL would always come back after few days. Will try again though.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am going to ask ...

When the new plugs were put in, did you check the gap? I know, I know ... plugs today are gapped for you ... right? You are not supposed to mess with them. Damage to irriduim tips and a Blah ... Blah ...Blah. You know how many incorrect plugs I have found right out of the box ... more than you think. I don't trust any of them. I carefully check every gap before I seal it up in the combustion chamber.

Ask any good gas-fitter if they would ever trust anyone else to ensure the gas is off.

Nope!
Yes I did check the gap, it was properly set

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,405 Posts
I am afraid it's been 400-500 miles, even more than that. CEL sometimes goes away for couple days, but always comes back. I did reset the code few times but CEL would always come back after few days. Will try again though.
I only vaguley know what goes on in jersey from speaking to people that live there.

do you have to make a appointment with the state / county NJ inspectors there?

if not maybe you could find a time when you have no light/ no stored code, and enough good data in the system and your hand held says you are ready to test,

...just before the problems come back. if such a time exists I would drive it right down there and wait. (inside the building, not sitting outside idling).

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
605 Posts
I've had a missfire caused by a bad intake manifold gasket , (not on a subaru, but on a Volvo and a Mazda). Try spraying brake cleaner around the manifold when the car is running and see if the car changes idle.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I only vaguley know what goes on in jersey from speaking to people that live there.

do you have to make a appointment with the state / county NJ inspectors there?

if not maybe you could find a time when you have no light/ no stored code, and enough good data in the system and your hand held says you are ready to test,

...just before the problems come back. if such a time exists I would drive it right down there and wait. (inside the building, not sitting outside idling).
No appointment necessary. This is what I will have to do in hopes that CEL does not come back at the inspection station.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Good news - passed inspection today. After I reset the code, OBD was in ready state pretty quickly except EVAP. I read inspection station allowed one to be off for 2001 and later vehicles. So I drove today praying that CEL would not light up during the inspection, and it did not. Was done in 5 minutes with new sticker.
Let's see now if CEL comes back.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Ltd
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So here's interesting update. As soon as it got warm 65+ F CEL did not light up. When I connected to OBD, it still showed the code. However after resetting the code, it does not come back. What can we conclude from this?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts