Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt realise there is an Aussi section here I posted before in the electrical forum but didnt get a response, I will repost below in the hope that there is a similar owner in Australia that knows the answer to my problem:

Hi all,
Sorry if this topic has been thrashed around before now, I had a look through the posts but didnt find what I was after ...

Any ideas what is the correct engine code reader for my Australian Subaru 2001 outback 4 cyl., I have an Autel OBD2/EOBD code reader, it plugs in fine but comes up with 'Linking Error' and from what I have read on the net, in Australia the 2001 outback is not OBD2? ... thanks

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
592 Posts
I'm in the UK with similar car and identical problem. Bought an Autel, same issue as yours - 'linking error'. Eventually found a non-Subaru garage who read it fine using a 'Launch' code reader but maybe there's a different type where you are. The Launch readers are very expensive, so I don't plan on buying one of those to replace my Autel!
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Greenmamba,
the local price for some of those Launch Scanners are similar to the Autel, there is a difference in some of the earlier U.S. Subarus and Australian Subarus with the OBD 2 situation, but not sure about the UK ... be nice to hear from an Australian owner who has a code reader working on his 2001 Outback ... anybody?:D

·
Registered
Subaru Liberty Heritage Ej251 SOHC NA My2000
36 Posts
old thread but i can relate to you guys :(
my 99 "my2000" heritage got the pin 7 obd2 but still no luck talking to ecu..
i assumed 1996 was obd2 compliance but obviously not in AU.
Stig

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didnt realise there is an Aussi section here I posted before in the electrical forum but didnt get a response, I will repost below in the hope that there is a similar owner in Australia that knows the answer to my problem:

Hi all,
Sorry if this topic has been thrashed around before now, I had a look through the posts but didnt find what I was after ...

Any ideas what is the correct engine code reader for my Australian Subaru 2001 outback 4 cyl., I have an Autel OBD2/EOBD code reader, it plugs in fine but comes up with 'Linking Error' and from what I have read on the net, in Australia the 2001 outback is not OBD2? ... thanks
hello weta,
It is along time since your original post, but this might help.
2001 in Aus is definitely not OBD2, (OBD2 was not a requirement until 2005/6 in Aus), I have seen 2004 subaru's that are OBD2, and there are claims that even as early as 2002 some models are OBD2 ??.
Firstly your generic OBD2 scanner will not work.
I have tried FreeSSM s/w with a VAG-COM cable on 2000 Outback and it did not work either, however it did work on a later 2008 Outback (MY 08 is OBD2, has CAN bus protocol). This is a very clever piece of s/w, it is free, and the cable can be purchased in Hong Kong for about AUD $10, it might work with your 2001 ? It is claimed to work on 1999 onwards (probably depend on country of origin)
FreeSSM / VAG-COM is not OBD2, but works on the Subaru in house diagnostic network, which has been uused on Subaru's since the early 1990's. This system is capable of providing more info than OBD2 (but on the correct models).
Another scanner package that I have is from Rennacs in NZ. I have the uniplug hardware and dedicated Subaru s/w. It works with 2000, and 2008 Outbacks. The real benifit of this package is that it will also scan ABS, Auto trans, and Air bag.
I consider this package to be good value, and additionally you can purchase s/w modules for other manufacturers.
Both of these scanner packages are worth a look at for Subaru's.
Cheers

·
Registered
2004 Outback 2.5ltr wagon auto petrol
29 Posts
I purchased an Autel MS509 scanner/code reader only last week for my recently acquired 2004 Outback. I returned it to the seller after it appeared to work intermittently.

Tried it out on half a dozen different occasions, it worked once, without a linking error and actually gave me a diagnostic read-out. But on the other five or so occasions all I got was a "linking error". From this I assumed that the MS509 was crook. This morning a workshop plugged in a Launch reader and were able to read the diagnostics with no problems at all.

On reflection, from my background in IT, I suspect there is some problem with the protocols used. On the one occasion when the MS509 worked it indicated that the KWP200 module was present. I understand that the Aussi Outbacks don't use the KWP2000 protocol, but the ISO version. ISO 9141 ????

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,071 Posts
Alisoncc you are correct, SSM communications protocol uses ISO 9141.
You can read all about it here

·
Registered
2004 Outback 2.5ltr wagon auto petrol
29 Posts
Looking for some advice as to what low-cost scanner/readers are available for a 2004 Outback. FreeSSM looks interesting, but need something I can throw in the glove compartment for long country trips. I mean long long trips. Thanks.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
I was a mechanic, but in the US. You can buy older, full-blown scan tools for pretty cheap nowadays. I have one myself. They work much better on vehicles here that are pre 1996 (generally speaking). Perhaps you could check out ebay or ask your local tool supply if they have an old one to sell. Most of the tool trucks here that had that sort of equipment (mainly snapon - manufactured by sun) have some at their house that they would like to get a buck out of. Not small by any means, but certainly useful.

The one I am familiar with is the MT2500. Perhaps it is available to you.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts