Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Outback XT 5MT check-engine light came on last night.

Drove it over to the dealership this morning. They were too busy to get it into the shop today, so I made an appointment for tomorrow.

The Service Associate was able to plug-in a little handheld reader and told me he was seeing codes 2004, 2005, and 2009. Thought maybe it could be transmission-related, but would have to be the shop the entire day for them to read the extended codes with a laptop.

He said as long as the CEL isn't blinking, it should be safe to drive back-and-forth to the dealership. I'll probably just drive my truck until I know what the issue is with the Outback.

These don't really seem like the OBDC II codes I've found online. Does these numbers mean anything to anyone? Is there a cross-reference?
--

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
those look like tumble generator valve codes.

I had similar codes come up on my WRX - went into limp mode, thought my turbo was toast!. I cleared them , then I did a SeaFoam treatment. they have never come back (it's been months)

I'd clear them and just see if they come back. perhaps do a throttlebody cleaning, PCV valve and hose system tuneup, also, how old is the battery? In our 03 H6, I've had spurious codes set twice by a bad cell in the battery.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how old is the battery? In our 03 H6, I've had spurious codes set twice by a bad cell in the battery.
The battery was new 2/1/2012. It looks generic / cheap, but receipt says $74.07. Vehicle was inspected 10/24/12 and the evaluation indicates "checked and OK".

The vehicle is very new to me, so it could be perfectly normal, but the battery / starter sure doesn't spin up the motor like I'm used to on my Tundra. It seems like it's struggling a little, but it starts pretty well.
--

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a note in the service records @ 99,488 that the air filter was dirty.

It so happens when chatting with the original owner, he asked if I had any experience with K&N air filters.

When I brought it to Aspen Auto Clinic for an "Annual Vehicle Inspection", they didn't mention any issues with the air filter, and the inspector didn't mention any problems or even observations (other than "checked and OK") related to air-intake.

The little guy at the front-desk was pushing all kinds of flushes. I think it was BG Products. One of the items he mentioned was that the air-intake had a lot of carbon in / around it and that the BG stuff would clean all that up.

I just filled-up the tank on Saturday and I've got about 70mi on it.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
those valves are above the injectors so, a seafoam 'spray' bottle with the U shaped nozzle is about the only DIY way to get to the valves if they're sticky due to carbon/sludge. Using it in the tank, while it may help other issues, isn't going to free-up the TGVs.

A trhottlebody service 'might' help but, I don't think it's going to get to the right places.

PCV and maybe an over-oiled K&N 'could' be sources of contamination. Or it could be a fluke. personally, I'd dump the K&N and go back to OEM or quality paper filters.

maybe someone here could suggest a shop in CoSpgs that would do the seafoam treatment and PCV valve work for you.

(my oldest daughter lives there!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing