Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good preassembled rear coil over for 02 outback. KYB apparently does not sell a pre assembled coil and shock only the shock. Is there another brand that is good. Read that unity was not very good.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
short answer that is typed out EVERY WEEK HERE. ...there are no real good pre-assembled ones,
(oddball racing ones are EXPENSIVE).

so:

get a local shop or parts dealer to use their BIG spring compressor on your OEM springs. or borrow theirs.

if your OEM spings have 200,000 miles or 2 much rust on them buy more. if not just keep using them.

but KYB struts and mounting kits are the things to buy, (mounting kits,...sometimes what you got is fine to re-use).

______

what I have done with my 2 cars: bought 4 KYB stuts online, from amazon / rockauto. and hand a local shop use spring compressors. on my particular cars all the mounts were still fine with 100,000 and 120,000 miles at change time. (the price on KYB mounts was the same online and local if I needed to buy them on install day).

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
short answer that is typed out EVERY WEEK HERE. ...there are no real good pre-assembled ones,
(oddball racing ones are EXPENSIVE).

so:

get a local shop or parts dealer to use their BIG spring compressor on your OEM springs. or borrow theirs.

if you OEM spings have 200,000 miles or 2 much rust on them buy more. if not just keep using them.

but KYB struts and mounting kits are the things to buy, (mounting kits,...sometimes what you got is fine to re-use).

______

what I have done with my 2 cars: bought 4 KYB stuts online, from amazon / rockauto. and hand a local shop use spring compressors. on my particular cars all the mounts were still fine with 100,000 and 120,000 miles at change time. (the price on KYB mounts was the same online and local if I needed to buy them on install day).

ok thanks. what I thought.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
999 Posts
Swapping the coil over on the rear shocks are not too difficult. You can get the rental spring compressors for free at most auto parts chain stores but be sure they have pins that lock the holders in place so you don't end up with a potentially fatal spring "boinger". Also be sure to tighten the top nut to the specified torque or you'll get terrible clunking every time the shocks compress, then you'll have to take it all apart to tighten them up (first hand boo-boo experience). A through hole ratchet wrench set and big Allen wrench keys are also very helpful.

The fronts are a different story....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts