Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback wagon 2.5l auto- 316050 miles and currently dying. Ask about cheap parts
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any coil over options for a 97 Leggy OB wagon? Did a search but didn't come up with anything. Looking for a full kit. with 1" drop. Planning to run 16" wheels to offset the difference in ride height, but I want the coil overs for better handling.

Also, does anyone know if there are any polyurethane upper strut mounts available for the same application? Need to replace my right rear top mount when I do get the new suspension parts (at the least), so I figure on doing all 4 and going with something more durable.

Thanks!

-B

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
boxer4racing has some leggy go-fast bits including suspension (email them, website is not great) - but i think there may be cheaper options from ebay (I have no idea about ebay's parts quality/reputation though)

others here will have better info I'm sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Coilovers

I am currently running Rokkor Tuning coilovers (GD Kit). 1998 OB
Adjustable Height and preload, but thats it.
Bolts right on, very affordable (under $500 shipped) and has a 3 year warranty.

They are the same as Raceland. However, Raceland uses 450 lb springs where Rokkor uses 470.

Side note: The fronts come with 470 lb springs, the rear with 270 lb springs, because they are made for the sedan. Tell them you have a wagon and they will swap out the rears for 470's. They did mine for free and even sent the extra springs along.

Also you will want to go back to raceland and get their Front stut bar (GC Kit). ($50) worth every penny. Really settled the front end down.

Last week I installed a rear strut tower and it helped even more. EBstores on ebay. $50. The strut bars have taken some of the harsness out of the ride. Im very impressed with the setup for what I have into it.

for the record, I am running 17 x 7.5 rims with 225-45-17 tires. You will need to roll the fenders depending on how low you want to go. Beware of how low your exhaust sits though.

You now have some good info from an actual user. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1997 Legacy Outback wagon 2.5l auto- 316050 miles and currently dying. Ask about cheap parts
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I talked with Dale at B4R today about this. He recommended the Tein Street Basic setup for an 02-07 WRX, since they have the adjustable height. And seeing as I want to go with stiffer top hats, he recommended the Group N top hats from those year Rex's since they bolt right in. He said that I do need something with the adjustable height due to the fact that the stock ride height comes from having spacers in the body. And at $899 for the full kit, I can't complain (potentially cheaper if I get them locally and use the shop account at the local parts store).

Going to email him and we are going to see what we can come up with. I want to keep stock ride height, but the goal is to improve handling a bit and lower center of gravity of the car for better MPG (in theory). I don't want to drop too much, just enough to get the control arms parallel to the ground.

Things are still in the works with this project, right now its planning stages and parts research. Looking to keep it close to stock feel as possible, slightly stiffer (adjustable dampening would be nice but not required), since this is a daily driver. I am also planning to put new sway bars in with poly links. Already getting the control arms redone with either Whiteline bushings or Raceland (iirc) ones. Dale and I talked about that and he mentioned a company in the UK that makes the ones I need, and they have a lifetime warranty, all at the same price as Whiteline 51710's

·
Registered
96 Legacy Outback Wagon
4 Posts
Hey! Make sure to let me know how this works for you. I'm building a 96 outback and have been trying to find some suspension. By the sounds of it any coilover for an 02-07 wrx will work!

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Limited, Graphite Grey
60 Posts
I am currently running Rokkor Tuning coilovers (GD Kit). 1998 OB
Adjustable Height and preload, but thats it.
Bolts right on, very affordable (under $500 shipped) and has a 3 year warranty.

They are the same as Raceland. However, Raceland uses 450 lb springs where Rokkor uses 470.

Side note: The fronts come with 470 lb springs, the rear with 270 lb springs, because they are made for the sedan. Tell them you have a wagon and they will swap out the rears for 470's. They did mine for free and even sent the extra springs along.

Also you will want to go back to raceland and get their Front stut bar (GC Kit). ($50) worth every penny. Really settled the front end down.

Last week I installed a rear strut tower and it helped even more. EBstores on ebay. $50. The strut bars have taken some of the harsness out of the ride. Im very impressed with the setup for what I have into it.

for the record, I am running 17 x 7.5 rims with 225-45-17 tires. You will need to roll the fenders depending on how low you want to go. Beware of how low your exhaust sits though.

You now have some good info from an actual user. Good Luck!
Good info...thanks for this!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts