Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Subaru legacy Outback 130k
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can i purchase a cold air intake for an outback? I have done tons of searches and cant find a dam thing. if anyone knows of a website or lick that can guide me in the right direction id appreciate it.

·
Registered
"Tank" - 2011 OB 3.6R w/ Nav & Moonroof in Graphite Grey
872 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,045 Posts
Anything that draws in air from under the hood in the engine bay is NOT a cold air intake.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L
5 Posts
I just bought and installed an AEM cold ait intake. The 2002 outback block is the same as the 2002 impreza RS. It works great and sounds awesome. So search for a cold air intake for a 2002 impreza RS and it WILL FIT, i promise, i just did it last night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
check my profile for the pics of my engine with the cold air intake installed, i just uploaded them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone who says outbacks come stock with a cold air intake is only half right. YES, it is a cold air intake. NO, it is not performance tuned. So it is beneficial (in HP) to invest in an aftermarket cold air intake

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,268 Posts
True enough I suppose. But $300 is not worth 5-10 HP for me.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback.
83 Posts
I put on the same CAI by AEM and I opened up the exhaust to 2.5" but not to make it haul anymore butt than it was built for but it does pull my 16' boat a whole lot better and it gets better economy. And I tossed around the thought of improving the brakes but not cause of the old idea "More power should have more brakes" cause I believe that to be false. The car will not weigh any more after improving the power and really.. unless you are travelling faster than the car was designed to go in the first place the original brakes will work as they were built for the car. Its just that the car will get up to speed faster. If your pulling something (such as a boat) that may be a different story as it would make it easier on the brakes when they are say cross drilled to help cool them down.

Tires although are always a good idea.. having grip can mean the difference between staying on the road, or finding that tree that kills you. Mind you getting the ass end to come around is always the best part!

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Anyone who says outbacks come stock with a cold air intake is only half right. YES, it is a cold air intake. NO, it is not performance tuned. So it is beneficial (in HP) to invest in an aftermarket cold air intake

Er um, lets not be hasty right now. It really isnt that benefical to get an aftermarket CAI as Subaru comes with one. As far as it not being "performance" oriented, hate to tell you but it is. It is designed to get the most power out of the engine it can, no one is "chocking" engines anymore, thats just a sale gimick.

That being said, the other poster is correct. He did both the intake and exhaust. You can run a wide open intake if you want, but without doing something on the exhaust end it realy doesnt do that much for performance. The only little bit a so called CAI does (without an improved exhaust) is shift the torque curve to the right by about 500 RPM, so the power comes on sooner, so it feels like you have added HP.

HP claims on a lot of these things are bogus. Only if the Dyno test is certified by a named testing company, it is worthless.

Also keep in mind that the OE system does a very good job of keeping water out of the engine if you plan to do anything off road. It takes some work to hydrolock a subaru (or stupidity) but if you move to a CAI that is under the fender, you can suck up water, and will suck up a lot of road crap.

As I say it is your car and your money, but thats my professional 2 cents.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
nipper has it nailed, hit on all the right points.

One more thing to note:
I believe these CAI with the open cone filter have a somewhat placebo affect. Because you can "hear" the engine more you believe it is making more power.

If you actually run some airflow tests/hook up some pressure differential sensors.
You might be surprised how well the stock system works, even at high rpms.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,761 Posts
What’s the difference if I just rip out the OEM airbox and just stick a K&N cone filter onto the existing rubber hosing?
Friends don't let friends K&N. ....:eek:

the subaru OEM intake = cold air,

and the EZ30D is extra nice.

just buy some nice paper filters with the metal screen on them to stop rodents from nibbling, change them every once in a green moon.

vs. trying to scrub dust off a dry filter, or a traditional wet filter that does not actually get clean.
(vs. their stupid commercials)

but hey ....welcome to the place all the cool H6ers hang out. ....even more than on a porsche forum.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
What’s the difference if I just rip out the OEM airbox and just stick a K&N cone filter onto the existing rubber hosing?
Why would you want to remove an air box, shielded from engine heat and replace it with a filter that is now exposed to engine heat?

Does that make sense to you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Eagle eye! :)
So far I have loved reading all the H6 threads and hearing that the things I’ve experienced so far have been “normal” for others too! I bought her at 117k and so far have had to replace a tensioner idler pulley (?), a wheel bearing, front struts, front ball joints and replaced the tranny fluid, front and rear differential fluid, and experience the popular low speed thunk. I feel at home here. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why would you want to remove an air box, shielded from engine heat and replace it with a filter that is now exposed to engine heat?

Does that make sense to you?
No. When you put it that way it makes sense to keep my perfectly fine system just the way it is. Thank you for the dose of common sense. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
reading this thread is entertaining as people say the Subaru does not have a cold air intake... lol have you data logged your IATs they are generally only 1-2 above ambient temps when in motion...I data logged a few of mine and recorded IAT of -21F when it was -22F outside

1 - 18 of 18 Posts