Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all,

wondering if anyone else has this problem with heat regluation. when i start my outback in the cold once the engine is warm the heat will blow on high until it reaches the temp I have set and it's nice and warm and the blower will slow down.

Here is were the problem comes in. once the temp falls below the temp i have set it never regluates back to the temp i have set, the blower always stays on low. the back seat is freezing unless I manaually kick up the temp to 78 or so. seems the vents in the center console are always cold, so we have shut them off.

finally took to the dealer, the service guy said everything is in specs, but did admit he has others bring in their outback of this too. he also took it for a test ride and once it hit 70 he put down the windows and sure enough it never did regluate back to 70

said looks like the temp is off by a few degrees do to being located too close to the gps & stereo and that is giving off heat which in turn is messing with the inside temp....

said only thing to do is make sure the sensor is clean and manually kick up the temp a few degrees.

so tell me all you outback drivers, am i truly the only one with this problem? because this does not seem right to me. the tech said he did a bulletin search and found notta...

thanks in advance for your input!!!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I don't have that problem. Mine has the dual zone automatic HVAC. Is yours the single zone or dual? What year is the car?

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Mines working hard here as it is really cold! but the temp definately seems to work fine. On full auto, the fan+heat is on high until temp is reached then it slows down. If I open the window the fan kicks back up to maintain tempurature and stays that way till window closed and back up to temp. It may have something to do the the tempurature variance though, it was -20 on my drive to work this morning so opening window is a pretty extreme temp drop. maybe it doesn't react to smaller changes very well.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
Underneath the steering-wheel is a panel with some slits in it near the center console. This is the air temp sampling intake. If the tube is disconnected from these slits the tube could suck in the warmer air from the console rather than the interior of the car.
I took that panel off one time in my OB, and noticed this contraption and know from other vehicles that this could be an issue in the automatic HVAC system.
YMMV

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Mine's the 3rd car I've had with automatic climate control that has required manual mode at times. It seems to me you need a system like with vents to back or my last car and our van that had/have two systems if you want the ultimate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts