Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am using the heater for the first time in my 2012 Outback, I notice that the floor heat does not blow toward the drivers door like it did in my 2000 outback :mad:. My left leg and foot get cold and my right foot is nice and toasty.
Has anybody else experienced this and or made a diverter to get some heat to the door side?

Not a wuss, just that my old outback had great floor heat,
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I noticed the lack of adequate heat to the driver's side floor in my 2010 Outback about two months after I bought it. When I test drove it on a warm fall day it did not occur to me to test the heat to the floor! If a fix is found I too want to know what it is. I also find the heat to the windshield and the electric heat to the windshield to be a little weak as well. A Subaru with weak heat - a car that begs to be used in the winter when you need the heat. Counter intuitive. My 1998 Brighton had far superior heat to the floor and my 2011 and 2012 Foresters have far superior heat to the floor. And yes I absolutely checked the heat to the floor before getting the Foresters. Subaru on!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I noticed this too. When you select floor heat it splits between the footwell vent, the windshield vent, and the front vents. It's not much different from the split footwell/defog selection. Why Subaru does this is a mystery to me. Your face ends up too warm before your legs are comfortable.

The workaround I use is to select the footwell/vent selection (the on with 1 arrow pointing down, 1 pointing at you). Then close the 4 vents. This vectors all the heat to the footwells, like the heater selection SHOULD.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I noticed this too. When you select floor heat it splits between the footwell vent, the windshield vent, and the front vents. It's not much different from the split footwell/defog selection. Why Subaru does this is a mystery to me. Your face ends up too warm before your legs are comfortable.

The workaround I use is to select the footwell/vent selection (the on with 1 arrow pointing down, 1 pointing at you). Then close the 4 vents. This vectors all the heat to the footwells, like the heater selection SHOULD.
That is exactly how my 2008 Tacoma was and it drove me crazy, if I turned the fan speed up trying to heat my feet faster my eyes would dry out so I closed off all the upper vents.
At least my OB seems to have a decent heater, the Tacoma heat selector would seldom be turned down from high if it was colder then 40 degrees out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have not had any reall cold weather, in the 40s but have not noticed it. I will look but is the air flow different on a 2013? Could be I'm just not very sensitive to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Jake2c
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing