Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 2002 Outback H6 which I purchased after wanting more room and power and traded my Forester X for it.

It is now winter here in NZ and on cold weather start up it will run normally until selecting drive and starting to move. As soon as I try to accelerate the car will not rev much above idle which is dangerous when trying to pull out of our driveway into traffic. The car simply starts to move then refuses to go any faster (limits about 1,000
rpm). As well as frustrating this is dangerous.

If I warm up the car after starting for (say) 1 min then drive off it is OK - but hey, who does that these days. Or more importantly who should NEED to do that these days.

Our local dealer who is very good knows of the problem and has other H6 owners complaining about the same. They have been onto Subaru NZ but no avail or fix. The car is still under warranty.

They also tell me that Subaru in Australia are experiencing the same issues with some H6 Outbacks and are "pushing" Subaru in Japan for answers.

Has anyone heard of this problem??? or have any ideas???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Let the car warm up

I do not own a Subaru yet, but I will tell you this. All vehicles I have driven will hesitate if you do not let the engine warm up in winter time. You have to allow the oil to reach maximum temperatures. Take the extra 5 minutes to let your car warm up, let the RPM's settle under 1,000 and then off you go.

By not letting your vehicle warm up, you are killing the longevity of the engine. Your vehicle needs time to warm up and allow the oil pump make sure all the internal parts are lubricated and allow the rings to set properly.

And for people who warm up their vehicle, a lot of people do it.

Here is a link that talks about it: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/030312.htm

Might want to purchase a block heater if you want to keep the oil warm and take off quicker.

Hope this information helps.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,112 Posts
I've driven my 2003 H6 Outback through many terrible winter days here in Nebraska and have never experienced this problem. On top of that I've never even heard of this problem until you, ottiehund, addressed it sir. Honestly most H6 owners love their engines in the winter as they warm up soo quickly, in a matter of less than 5 minutes for me even in the worsest conditions.

ottiehund, due to my lack of having this problem I really don't know where you're coming from. All I can recommend is that you let your car warm up for a minute or two before to drive off and I highly recommend using some fully synthetic oil in your engine. I've always used Mobil 1 5W-30 with a Mobil 1 filter and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hero Boots said:
I've always used Mobil 1 5W-30 with a Mobil 1 filter and haven't had any problems. [/B]
Hero, you are correct. Chaning to a lower Viscosity of Oil recommended during the winter.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Warm up

I've been told by more than one mechanic that the BEST way to warm up an engine is to drive it gently, not let it sit idling. This may not apply to really cold area's as in parts of the USA, but I'm pretty sure NZ isn't that much colder than Aus. Any fuel injected engine should NOT do what yours is doing, they should be able to accelerate normally even when cold. My 3.0R actually changes the shift points and revs higher before upshifting when cold, never any hesitation of feeling of being limited. Are you using premiun unleaded?

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warm Up

Thanks Guys, I hear what you are saying, however this isn't a case of what is best for the engine - it is a case of an engine not performing as it should. I agree with Jondalar because my father was an A grade mechanic here in NZ and always told me that sitting in the garage warming up an engine before taking off actually diod more damage that just driving away.

However the issue is that there is a KNOWN issue with this model that appears to be something to do with the NZ and Aust spec cars. The car does not hesitate - it stops!

The mechanics at the localdealer told me that Subaru Australia is trying to get a recognition and a fix from Japan, so would be keen to hear from any Aussies who know of this issue there.

By the way, this is my 9th Subaru in 14 years and NONE of the others have experienced this issue, so I think I should know what I should reasonably expect from the vehicle. I have done up to 90,000km in each one.

The winter here in the South of NZ will be colder than most of Aust but certainly not comparable to Nth America where block heaters etc are used/needed. Normal winter mornings would range from -3 to +3 (or maybe +5 or +6 on warm mornings) degrees.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,112 Posts
Re: Warm Up

ottiehund said:
However the issue is that there is a KNOWN issue with this model that appears to be something to do with the NZ and Aust spec cars. The car does not hesitate - it stops!
Oh, I must have not caught that earlier :bonk: Uh, I've never heard of an Outback just dead stopping....

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problems Solved

For those who have followed my problems I am pleased to report that efforts between Subaru NZ and my local dealer have seen the problem fixed.

The dealer had the car for 3 days (they gave me a new XT Forester to drive - yippee) and on the first morning it played up for them. This was the first time they had actually experienced the problem.

The computer did not have any fault codes recorded again, but I felt vindicated since they had experienced it first hand.

They essentially stripped the ignition system down and put it back together again. Reset the computer(s) and tested all sensors etc and then put them back.

They are not sure what they did that fixed it, but this was 3 weeks ago and we have had a number of sub-zero days since then and it is going great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts