Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10.9 mpg average over the past few days. Why?

6.1 miles driven in 4-5 trips from a cold engine and temps around 4-15 degrees over about a week.

This is an example of how bad the fuel economy can be in adverse conditions. No complaint, just an observation.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
understandable

wouldn't help with subsequent daily trips but, have you considered an engine warming device of some type for use overnight? maybe even on a timer to come on 3 hours or w'ever before leaving in the morning.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Personal best tank in Kaylee: 32MPG on interstate in spring with cruise set at 65MPH.
Personal worst tank in Kaylee: 14.8 MPG in Chicago winter city driving. All the lights, heaters, defrosters, etc plus having her idle while I dug out/cleared off all the snow.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
understandable

wouldn't help with subsequent daily trips but, have you considered an engine warming device of some type for use overnight? maybe even on a timer to come on 3 hours or w'ever before leaving in the morning.
We have retired so no set schedule. :) This cold weather is exceptional for central KY so extra heating really not needed. Great ideas, however.

Reactions: markmizzou

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Right there in the same boat. Recently moved, and my commute to work has dropped from a 40+ mile round trip to less than 12. I'll take the low mileage every day of the week compared to the hassles of the previous long commute.

·
Registered
2016 OUTBACK 2.5i Limited
56 Posts
10.9 mpg average over the past few days. Why?

6.1 miles driven in 4-5 trips from a cold engine and temps around 4-15 degrees over about a week.

This is an example of how bad the fuel economy can be in adverse conditions. No complaint, just an observation.
:wink2::wink2:Here in ND we drive in 10 to 30 degrees below zero all winter with that kind of mileage. Same in my past Legacy, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Chevy's, Plymouth's Pontiac's what have you>>>>> Even my Ford F150 is 7 to 10 mpg in city short trips. :wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
About 19 on the '01 OB - all 1 and 3 mile drives with the temps around zero. Just about the same for the '96 last year.

No long highway trips as yet - hopefully will get one or two next weeks for ski days.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 premium.
30 Posts
With Prius's we blocked of upper and lower grill openings. Keeping the engine warm, means less gas engine running and more electric time to powering the wheels. Gas engine runs no matter what till it reach's a fixed water temperature. then it will turn off till needed for extra power...I have a standard route for years 13 miles. Summer time average just over 70mpg. same route winters just over 40mpg.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Are you letting it sit and idle to warm up? That in part would account for the poor mileage. Also, cold weather causes loss of tire pressure so that will lower you gas mileage as well.

David

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you letting it sit and idle to warm up? That in part would account for the poor mileage. Also, cold weather causes loss of tire pressure so that will lower you gas mileage as well.

David
No warm up. 10-20 seconds then drive. I measured oil temperature on one round trip to the grocery 3/4 of a mile from my house. The oil temperature was about 105 degrees. The car NEVER warms up in very short trips.

Happens in every car. Just an observation. However, some cars do warm up faster than others. :)

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,372 Posts
Yep. I'm trying to drive extra conservatively while the engine is coming up to temperature. Very slow accelerating up to speed. Even so, the mileage is noticeably down. Lots of time in the right lane and I'm sure other drivers are thinking "darned Sube drivers are so slow". :D
Short trips with enough time between to let everything cool further drags down the economy.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Ltd Outback (Tungsten)
835 Posts
How do you really know your average gas mileage for 6.1 miles of travel? I'm not sure there is a good way to calculate that with any accuracy ...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you really know your average gas mileage for 6.1 miles of travel? I'm not sure there is a good way to calculate that with any accuracy ...
True, In my case I set my odometer and fuel economy tracking to show economy for a few days. My point is to show just how poor fuel mileage is when you take very short trips in very cold weather, not absolute accuracy.

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
FYI, my last tank only lasted 500km (310miles) and it was a 65L (17.2G), or 18mpg.

That's 70% city and 30% hwy with -20c (-5F) average temp, I have to let the car warm up for at least 5mins or up to 10mins to make it driveable, so it's lot of idling.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Personal best tank in Kaylee: 32MPG on interstate in spring with cruise set at 65MPH.
Personal worst tank in Kaylee: 14.8 MPG in Chicago winter city driving. All the lights, heaters, defrosters, etc plus having her idle while I dug out/cleared off all the snow.
Are you having flashbacks of Chi-town these days? 13 degrees here this morning and I'm thinking Southern TN may be in my future!

I worked in Naperville for several years, I loved summers but winter sucks!

I've been wondering if someone had been hitting my tank with a siphon the last couple of weeks!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
electricity cheaper than gas - some kind of block heater on a timer or thermostat should help leaving the house in the morning.

but it may only make sense for folks living near the Canadian border. the rest of us just suffer for a few weeks. (here, we only get low temps for 2-3 days , 1-2-3 times in winter)

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Are you having flashbacks of Chi-town these days? 13 degrees here this morning and I'm thinking Southern TN may be in my future!
It was about 10F this morning, wind had had the feels like temp right around zero.

Least I don't have a city block worth of sidewalks and staircases to keep cleared off from snow. Good exercise, worst campus job I've had.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts